Is it bad to drink wine just after primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
I am sort of new to home brewing. I started maybe a month ago. I've done this before though, and the wine tasted fine.

Here's what I did though, after 1 week, when primary fermentation was over, I strained the wine about 6 times. I strained it through a washcloth over a tin bowl with holes (it seemed to strain it out pretty good).

I drank it right away. It was pretty strong, and didn't even taste bad.

Here's my question, is this bad? As in for my health or anything to drink the wine right away after primary fermentation? It didn't seem to be bad or anything.

to sum up the type of wine it was, it was pretty much hooch (prison wine), but tasted fairly good.

Thanks!!!

Nothing to worry about. It was probably a little "green" and had some suspended yeast that would affect the flavor, but it won't make you sick.

QuercusMax said:
Aside from a bellyful of fresh yeast, you should be fine, except maybe your palate - prison hooch sounds pretty awful. The yeast may give you some gas if you're not used to it.

I plan on putting it in the fridge and straining anything out 6 times.

I've done this with 2 batches before after 1 week, strained it, drank it, did not get sick from gas, it tasted fine. The first batch didn't have any bad effect on me, and the second one only made me sick because I drank way too much.

but the one I'm fermenting now has been going for only 3 days, and fermentation was crazy in only about 4 hours after starting it, and it seems to be slowing down now, the small bubbles are decreasing and rising towards the top slowly, I can see through the bottle.

Why are you creating multiple threads on the same subject??

Just a question also, no offence at all but this is a Homebrewing site, talking about "hooch" is not allowed here.
Although your not distilling it. Seems to me that your just looking for 20%ABV that will get you $hitfaced....

A cheap bottle of georgi will do the trick, that is if your old enough to buy a handle...

Johnnyhitch1 said:

Just a question also, no offence at all but this is a Homebrewing site, talking about "hooch" is not allowed here.
Although your not distilling it. Seems to me that your just looking for 20%ABV that will get you $hitfaced....

A cheap bottle of georgi will do the trick, that is if your old enough to buy a handle...

Nah, I just don't have the proper materials to make good wine, it's still good, just by store-bought ingridients. and if I wanted to get "$hit faced" I would kill some vodka. I have some. I'd rather not though. I enjoy making my own drinks

Johnnyhitch1 said:

I enjoy making my own drinks. I called it "prison wine" because I don't have the proper ingrediants to make good wine. I don't plan on getting "$hit faced", that's just a waste of alcoholic beverages. I'm just wanting answers from experienced people by which it is fine to drink or not, I'm new to home brewing.

I enjoy making my own drinks. I called it "prison wine" because I don't have the proper ingrediants to make good wine. I don't plan on getting "$hit faced", that's just a waste of alcoholic beverages. I'm just wanting answers from experienced people by which it is fine to drink or not, I'm new to home brewing.

It won't kill you. If you can stand to drink it, that's fine.

Our forum really isn't about prison hooch, though. We're about making quality beverages (ale, wine, mead, cider, even soda) with good techniques. Oxidizing a wine by pouring it through a washcloth may be fine for you, but it's really not going to make a good quality wine that will taste good in a few weeks. Even a cheap "welch's juice" wine is really good when prepared properly by using an airlock, siphoning equipment (instead of pouring) and of course with proper sanitation.

You may find more like-minded people that you can relate to in a different forum, if you're not prepared to handle a little criticism about your technique. This forum may not be a good fit for you.

Yooper said:
It won't kill you. If you can stand to drink it, that's fine.

Our forum really isn't about prison hooch, though. We're about making quality beverages (ale, wine, mead, cider, even soda) with good techniques. Oxidizing a wine by pouring it through a washcloth may be fine for you, but it's really not going to make a good quality wine that will taste good in a few weeks. Even a cheap "welch's juice" wine is really good when prepared properly by using an airlock, siphoning equipment (instead of pouring) and of course with proper sanitation.

You may find more like-minded people that you can relate to in a different forum, if you're not prepared to handle a little criticism about your technique. This forum may not be a good fit for you.

It was a just a question of if I can drink it right after primary fermentation, it's not about the hooch thing, I could have just left that out.

I'll add, I do have a proper airlock. My last 2 batches were great with the same method, even straining through a washcloth. Tasted pretty darn good actually

35mmtq.jpg

Nah, I just don't have the proper materials to make good wine, it's still good, just by store-bought ingridients. and if I wanted to get "$hit faced" I would kill some vodka. I have some. I'd rather not though. I enjoy making my own drinks

No what you lack is the understanding that ANY homebrew still need the one ingredient that you seem to lack TIME:D

I tend to be more serious when making beer, but I'll admit sometimes I rush a quick 1 gallon batch of apple cider (like I'm drinking right now) One week in fermenter, added priming juice... 2 days in bottles... damit, stressed out, no funds, threw it in the fridge and getting a buzz on (it's about 7 %) You lost people here with the word "hooch". Just leave it in fermenter longer (8-10 days), carefully siphon out, cool in fridge and drink up. I just use 2-liter plastic soda bottles. By the way, I call my quick cider "swish" (it from a low budget show called "the trailer park boys")

I like an apple cider (whatever pure apple the grocery has on for cheap) thats been chewed dry with EC-1118. I may try a D47 next time for better flavour. I keg carbonate it after fermentation measures out as finished. IMHO its about the same or better than dry canned commercial product. It seems to smoothen out a bit while it chills in the keg. It's not about the drunk for me, as I don't even add sugar, so we're talking an OG of just 1045 or so. Nowhere near wine territory.

But I agree, time makes most beer/wine better. The issue is patience and getting the pipeline in place to keep ahead of my thirst. :)

Last edited:
Back