Intense Fermentation, No blow-off hose...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new home brewer, and I brewed a big beer for the first time last night. I pitched two WLP001s around 8:00 PM. At 3:00 this morning I heard a loud POP, which was the airlock hitting the ceiling. Being the middle of the night, and not having a blow-off hose, I just put the carboy in the sink and went back to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed from here without a blow-off hose? Does it make sense to pick one up at this point?

Thanks for the help!

In case anyone is curious, my recipe is basically the Water into Barleywine that is in the recipe forum (lots of good reviews).

It always makes sense, or you can simply place some tinfoil around the top until you can re-install an airlock.

Do you have any spare 1/2" hose lying around? This should fit a typical airlock's output and is often enough for a moderately big beer. (Some beers can clog a 1/2 airlock.) That's all there is too it, just plug it in one end and drop the other in water/sanitizer/vodka. Make sure you sanitize it first, since chances are the yeast will touch it.

Oh, and in the future, if you go above 1.070, plan on rigging up a blowoff. Almost 100% of my beers over that mark tend to blow.

I've used the tubing from my auto siphon in a pinch. It's not ideal as it is narrow. But haven't had any adverse effects from using it either by pushing into a drilled stopper or through the grommet in an ale pail lid.

Thanks for the help, everyone. When I got home from work fermentation was back under control, so I sanitized the airlock and put it back on. I'm a little concerned about contamination, since I left it uncovered all day, we'll see how it goes...

Thank again.

No reason for concern, the brew is expelling co2 so nothing can get in, unless you actually put something in. CO2 is heavier than air as well, so even if it weren't vigorously fermenting no air would get to it, this is one reason you can get away with open fermentations.

No worries man. I don't use an airlock for the first week of primary anymore. Just a piece of sanitized foil with a long probe thermometer. Your batch could be contaminated, but it's not likely. Strongly fermenting wort is not a hospitable environment.

Back