input on AG equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBierBaron

Reaction score
I'm making the leap to all-grain. I've already built my mash tun by adding a false bottom (why are these so expensive?) and a ball-valve to a 10 gallon lowe's cooler.

One thing I've learned about buying equipment thus far, is that I should buy with consideration to future upgrades. I did this with the cooler figuring I could use the cooler as a hot water tank if I switch from batch to fly sparging at some point. With that in mind, here is what I'm considering ordering for my brew kettle:

http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-15-gallon-SS-Brew-Pot_p_2756.html

This seems like a pretty good deal. Saves me 20$ from having to buy a drill bit. If I slap a SS ball-valve and bazooka screen on it, that should do it for now. I'm not sure what I would use the second bulkhead for. They sell the same pot with one for 10$ cheaper.

That leaves a butane burner and a chiller. I'm looking at this 30 plate Dudadiesel chiller http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1230BWGH.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions on this. Thanks!

What do you use a thermometer for on a brew kettle (if you're not using an immersion chiller)?

Thanks, I think the 20 plate is worth an extra 15$. Faster cooling time, fewer plates for gunk to get stuck on.

What do you use a thermometer for on a brew kettle (if you're not using an immersion chiller)?

many people use the same pot for heating water or mashing, not just boiling.
its not necessary on a boil kettle, but you find uses for it and get used to it being there.

you can always buy a SS plug for the 2nd port for now.

I use a single pot for heating water for mashing, sparging and boiling.

Latest posts

Back