Infection? Purple krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusticeAle

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just finished kegging a Rye blonde made with washed 2556 kolsch yeast. The krausen has a purple ring around it. Is it some type of infection? So far the beer smells just fine. Going to sample some soon. What do you think?

image-941684262.jpg

Unless he's got a crazy small phone and skinny arm, I doubt it's taken from inside a carboy. Kind of looks that way though.

I've never seen that before, but if it smells/tastes fine, then you're probably okay. I always taste a beer before I keg it to make sure it's not bad and worth kegging.

i saw a post earlier this month with a photo of a purple krausen but there was no resolution with that one either. i didn't post on that one so i have no idea how i would find it again.

Ya I just held my phone really close to the carboy and hit focus until it was clear as possible. Interestingly enough the beer tasted just fine. If anything it didn't have as much of a kolschy yeast character. I mean it's there just a bit more subtle. Hmmm seems like few others have had this happen huh?

I did notice the krausen came off WAY easier then normal. Usually I have to scrub the carboy(still did) to get the krausen ring off but a quick swish of water got pretty much the whole thing off. I was surprised. I don't know if thats relevant.

It's been on gas for a couple days at 30psi. I'm gonna turn the pressure down when I get home and taste it again. It tasted just fine warm. I've just never seen this before.

Odly enough it was not a dark grain bill or a lot of hops. It's merely a rye blonde ale with about an ounce or so of belma hops. I've brewed the same recipe before albiet less rye. The only thing I can think of is Maybe I wasn't sanitary enough with washing the 2556 kolsch from the last batch:drunk:

Back