Induction Cooktop (240V 20A) To Dryer Outlet Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
Hey!

I am excited to start in electric brewing, and I picked up a 3500W 240 V induction cooktop on Amazon with the intention of hooking it up into the dryer outlet next to the kitchen.

I ordered some adapter cables on amazon to help me on my way, but I realized that I ordered an adapter cable with the locking blades instead of the straight blades and plug. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the cords/adapters I need anywhere. I am posting some pictures to illustrate.

The first picture is of my dryer cord and outlet.

The second here is of an adapter I got. The female side mates with the male plug on the induction cooktop perfectly, but the locking blades are not designed to fit into the dryer's outlet. The dryer cord shown has straight plugs.

Any advice on were I can pick up a part to fix this, and which part I should get?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

That does indeed look like the cord that attaches to the dryer. I am looking for an adapter that would attach a cord like the one in that link to a female socket like the one shown in the bottom picture I posted.

My two cents: A quick interweb search came up with no premade adapters. You will need to either swap out the cord of the cooker with this dryer cord or build an adapter cable by adding this 6-20 receptacle to the dryer cord. Both options are with the white wire of the dryer cord not connected to anything.

I ended up using the 25ft extension cord that I had gotten that had the correct female side for the induction cook top, and I went to lowse and bought a new male plug for the extension cord that was identical to the one on my dryer outlet. So for now, it looks like I have a spare 3 prong to 4 prong bladed 1 ft adapter, which isn't that bad of a thing to have.

Plus, now I have my own multimeter, wire strippers, and AC detector!

Here is a plot of me heating my 8 gallon megapot 1.2 with 7 gallons of tap water in it. I am quite pleased! Beats the crap out even a gas stove inside!

Ha! I bought the same Induction cooker and had the same question! I appreciate you sharing the info - saves me a few hours of searching through Amazon with a very confused look on my face!

Ha! I bought the same Induction cooker and had the same question! I appreciate you sharing the info - saves me a few hours of searching through Amazon with a very confused look on my face!

You are very welcome! Glad I could help!

@ Mad Scientist, I tend to recall that in my old apartment on my gas stove, it would take well over an hour to reach a boil. I am in a new apartment now with a flat top electric stove, I will run a test for comparison while I am mashing tomorrow. I want heat the water long enough to boil it, but the slope of the curve is the only thing that should matter.

I know this thread's a year old but here's hoping...where did you get that first adapter? That's exactly what I need to hook up to my generator!

Back