Nema 10-30P to Nema 6-30R, brewing 220 off the dryer plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy

Reaction score
For a while, I was just doing BIAB in a big brew kettle, but finally got the 220v Brewzilla Gen 4!!! Great but no 220 receptacles yet (electrician coming soon). So I picked up an adapter plug to pull 220 off the dryer plug. Yeah... Kind of a pain to get it all plugged in, but making beer is a serious vocation so not a big deal to me.

The cord cost $26 bucks on Amazon. Most dryers use a Nema 10-30 receptacle, so you get the 10-30P (p = plug) to Nema 6-30R (R = receptacle).

Anyone else try this? My electrician said it should work perfectly with that adapter .

No pics or links? I like to look at pics :p
Sounds just fine. I went cheap when I made my first electric keggle; went to a used appliance store and asked to buy stuff from their recycling bin..got a bunch of 10 gauge hook-up wires in the appropriate colours and a stove cord which I installed in a simple outdoor junction box with a 6-30R; I borrow the power outlet for my stove to brew;
IMG_1602.jpg

Can't see the plug end clearly enough for sure, but looks like what you have is a 14-50 plug to a L14-30 receptacle.
Yes...Sorry for the wrong number! I made the mistake of tilting my head back twice yesterday to see the eclipse and with my spine/neck/white-matter issues that's one of the worse things I can possibly do so today I'm mixing up left/right, in/out, up/down, getting numbers, dimensions and volumes wrong, forgetting letters and words and making a lot of typos...pressure in the dural sac :p ...but I really wanted to see the eclipse!

No pics or links? I like to look at pics :p
Sounds just fine. I went cheap when I made my first electric keggle; went to a used appliance store and asked to buy stuff from their recycling bin..got a bunch of 10 gauge hook-up wires in the appropriate colours and a stove cord which I installed in a simple outdoor junction box with a 6-30R; I borrow the power outlet for my stove to brew;
View attachment 846131

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_183421594.jpg
    PXL_20240409_183421594.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
10-30 is technically two hots and a neutral with no ground while 6-30 is two hots and a ground with no neutral. Since the circuit is likely not running on a GFCI breaker, it will function because the new brewing system is only "using" the two hots. If something were to short out, it can run current on the neutral. If it's going back to a main panel (not a sub-panel), it will dump the current to the ground bus.

10-30 is technically two hots and a neutral with no ground while 6-30 is two hots and a ground with no neutral. Since the circuit is likely not running on a GFCI breaker, it will function because the new brewing system is only "using" the two hots. If something were to short out, it can run current on the neutral. If it's going back to a main panel (not a sub-panel), it will dump the current to the ground bus.
When using the adapter, it goes back to the main panel, no GFCI.

My new outside 220v outlet (6-30R) is going to be off a sub panel. Outlet is double covered ... A cover, and cover for the cover.
Install is T minus 2 days. Ready by the weekend!!!

Two hots and neutral was pretty common in the past for ranges, ovens, and electric dryers. NEC changed that, mid-90s as I recall, to require a grounding circuit.

Those older installs are grandfathered but AFAIK technically only for that same type of appliance; range, oven, electric dryer.

Back