Imperial Kveiking ridiculously fast fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pitched Imperial Kveiking into a 1.053-OG raw ale last night. And I was getting worried because I didn't see any activity today.

But I checked the gravity, and it's already dropped to about 1.016 -- within about 5 points of BrewFather's estimated FG in about 18 hours. I guess the kräusen rose and fell while I was sleeping last night.

Has anyone else had this experience with Kveiking? I know kveiks are aggressive fermenters, but is this typical? Should I expect the gravity to keep creeping down, or do they tend to stop as rapidly as they take off?

Hey there! Yes, Kveiking is a beast of a yeast! According to my notes on my last kveiking it started fermenation within 6 hours and was done in 3 days on a 1.048 beer down to 1.008. I would leave it alone for a few more days and check gravity again.

I had a 1.042 ferment down to 1.000 in 48 hours with this yeast. It was a Cream of Three Crops that I added some extra gluco to in order to turn it into a low carb beer. I was shocked at how quickly it fermented.

The kveiks are fast and especially the hotter you ferment and if you add a double dose of yeast nutrient.
I leave mine for a couple of days after FG has occurred so that clean up occurs.
You have to really be on your toes if you plan to drop in hops during yeast activity. I tend to do this around 1.020 if I'm doing this so usually get a chance to catch that window.

Back