I'm new to ferm chambers and lag times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
In my 10 years of brewing I've never really had problems with lag times. I usually make starters in the 1.030-1.040 range and use a stir plate. I also never really had a problem keeping my beers below 72 unless it was summer in which case I would use a swamp cooler.

I wanted to try my hand at cleaner fermentations with some of the Belgian yeasts in the 65-68 degree range so I recently purchased a digital Johnson controls unit. It is hooked up to a fridge that I keep in my garage.

I've noticed since I started fermenting in the mid 60s that my lag times have increased and the fermentations haven't been as violent as when I kept my beer in the house. My process hasn't really changed. I chill down my wort as much as possible, aerate well and place the beer in the fridge to cool down and then pitch the yeast. I try to get as close to the same temp as my starter.

Does the cooler temp slow down the start of fermentation? My most recent lag came with using WLP 500. Any ideas?

this is a good thing my friend, low and slow...i use the same set up and ferment all my ales at 60-62. i can usually expent ferm to start within 7 hours. i always use a blow off just in case but ever since the chamber build they dont get to vigerious anymore. no worries, your beer will thank you..

I've noticed since I started fermenting in the mid 60s that my lag times have increased and the fermentations haven't been as violent as when I kept my beer in the house. My process hasn't really changed. I chill down my wort as much as possible, aerate well and place the beer in the fridge to cool down and then pitch the yeast. I try to get as close to the same temp as my starter.

Does the cooler temp slow down the start of fermentation? My most recent lag came with using WLP 500. Any ideas?

How long are your lag times now?

Short lag times and violent fermentation activity aren't the goal here. Producing delicious beer is. Pitching/fermenting too warmly can cause things to take off and run hard, but at the cost of producing undesirable flavors.

A yeast colony is supposed go through certain phases in the fermentation process. Having a lag phase of 12-24 hours before visible activity is a part of the normal progression as the yeast multiply and get ready for the feast.

BigFloyd said:
How long are your lag times now?

I would say 24 hrs if not a little more than and thinking of it, my definition of lag time ending may differ from yours. I would say the time from pitching the yeast to the time of consistent airlock activity and visible movement of sentiment within the fermenter.

I've noticed, at least in my cases, the usual signs of fermentation starting within 12 hrs. i.e. yeast attaching itself to the carboy walls just above the thick layer of trub as well as particles slowly moving up and down. But it is taking longer than I'm used to to get going and the signs are not visible in the airlock. I know the airlock activity may not always be an indicator of fermentation but I've been in the game long enough to know characteristics of yeasts and also when a good vigorous fermentation has begun.

Thanks for taking the time to post responses. I think I just need to be patient.

Latest posts

Back