if you could only have one hop ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justenoughforme

Reaction score
what would be the most general purpose hop for many styles of beer?

i'm trying to buy a pound instead of ounce of multiple different kinds.

That's good news for me as my two centennial rhizomes were the only ones that made it in my first attemp (out of five).

Columbus is a pretty good all around hop.

In my opinion, you should identify what varieties you like/use the most and get a pound of 3-4 of them. Hops Direct has great prices and when I average it all out (shipping included), I am only paying about $0.65 per ounce of hops. Plus, every 1 lb bag I have received from them has been over packed by at least 3-4 ounces. Bonus hops!

There's not one hop that'll work for everything, so it comes down to what you like. For me, I love English styles, so it's Kent Goldings. But for American hops, I love the Centennial/Amarillo combo. For Belgian styles, I use Styrian Goldings regularly (although in combination with something else, I'm fond of Styrian Goldings and Saaz). For German styles I also love Hersbrucker, but Hallertau and Tettenanger are great too.

I'm pretty excited about Citra, too bad it's privately controlled and I can't grow it yet

Back