If you are using RIMS do you still vorlauf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first brew using the Blichmann RIMS rocket (240V) and re-circulating during the 90 minute mash.

I was wondering if the Vorlauf step is needed if the grain bed will have already been set.

2nd question anyone add their sparge water after the 90 minute mash and just re-circulate then pump into the BK?

Thanks in advance!

No need to vorlauf, after 90 minutes if you got your flow rate right, the wort should be nice an clear.

Never heard of anyone adding the sparge water and just keep on going. Funny idea. However, im my head you'll just be dilluting the wort with some diminishing returns when it comes to absorption of sugar. I'd reckon you'll get more from the sparge water done the traditional way.

Q2: I recirculate until it clears again, but I drain it instead of pumping.

Was this your initial Q2?: I honestly I don't know. Now my setup is no-sparge. I've done batch sparging and fly sparging. But not anything like this. When it comes to efficiency of the sparge..i know that's not very important, unless you're at your maximum and would like to get even more.. I believe it's a less efficient method to use. Everything else would just be speculation.

I can't see how this differs from a no-sparge actually.

Oops, that was my response to the 2nd question in the OPs post. Should of used A2:

I was assuming he was batch sparging which is what I do.

If you no sparge there would be no reason to add additional sparge water. If you fly sparge you would add water to the mash and continue draining so no need to recirculate either.

Oops, that was my response to the 2nd question in the OPs post. Should of used A2:

I was assuming he was batch sparging which is what I do.

If you no sparge there would be no reason to add additional sparge water. If you fly sparge you would add water to the mash and continue draining so no need to recirculate either.

My bad, thought you were OP.

Back