I need to convert one pound of Munich malt. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
My LHBS only has Munich extract in 3 lb jugs and I only need .5 lbs for a small batch. I bought one pound of Munich malt and am thinking of putting it in 150 degree water and putting it in the oven for a half hour at 150 degrees. Will this work?

Yes.

Use 2 quarts of water per pound, so it's a small volume. Then, after the mash, lift up the grainbag and pour another quart or two of water over the grainbag. Squeeze it a bit to get the liquid out, or smash on it with a spoon so you don't "lose" a ton of the wort.

Edited to add- use 160 degree water to mix with your grain so that when the grain cools the water, you're in the 150-155 degree range for the mash. Make sure that the grain is very loose in any bag you use, so that you can stir the grain well into the water and thoroughly saturate it.

I did everything you said and tasted it. It's only slightly sweet. Is that ok? OG of Munich wort is 1.03. I'm going to be brewing with another 3 lbs of Pilsen light lme. I'd like to OG of everything to be about 1.054

Yes.

Use 2 quarts of water per pound, so it's a small volume. Then, after the mash, lift up the grainbag and pour another quart or two of water over the grainbag. Squeeze it a bit to get the liquid out, or smash on it with a spoon so you don't "lose" a ton of the wort.

Edited to add- use 160 degree water to mix with your grain so that when the grain cools the water, you're in the 150-155 degree range for the mash. Make sure that the grain is very loose in any bag you use, so that you can stir the grain well into the water and thoroughly saturate it.

I decided to just go with it. It'll be beer either way. Thanks for your help Yooper :)

Latest posts

Back