I Made A Big Hop Strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I've never really liked hop bags, but I want a way to get the hops out before I drain my kettle after a brew (and hopefully let those hops drain a bit of sweetness at the end). Following on the heels of my 50' aluminum immersion chiller, I decided to make a nesting setup that would still clear my 5500w element in my 15gal kettle. Let's take a look, shall we?

IMAG1964.jpg

IMAG1965.jpg

IMAG1966.jpg

IMAG1967.jpg

IMAG1968.jpg

Have you tried brewing (or at least boiling water) with that filter in the kettle? In a different thread regarding hob junk and a similar basket steam bubbles worked up under the basket and caused it to rumble around in the kettle.

I'm giving it the trial run right now to build up an oxide layer. If it doesn't work, I'll pull it out and use some hop bags. Or I could clamp it down, that's another benefit of the "hanging" model I've got - I can just secure it to the sides to hold it down. I have to do the same with my IC sometimes before it's filled with water, since it floats.

Very interesting. Could you give a material breakdown? What is the mesh made of? Could you mash using this instead of a grain bag for BIAB?

The frame is just 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar, the hoop is 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum bar, the screen is just aluminum screen, all from HD. Tied it together with bare copper wire.

It's not secure enough to do a BIAB, I'm guessing. Too much weight for the thin screen. I ended up not using it today, I want to condition it better and maybe make sure the weight will hold. Plus it makes it difficult to measure my water volume with my dip stick.

Aside from needing to recalibrate your volume measuring standards that's bloody brilliant. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Given the large surface area I can't see blockage being a problem but you never know until you try it once, eh?

So I ended up using it today on 2 brews, and it worked just fine. A pain to clean out, I need to redesign the bottom (making a cylinder is hard when you just have a roll of screen).

Back