I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you just have to figure what the hell and say it. Only time I ever really grew anything huge was when I was breastfeeding. Now I grow things mediocre at best. Though I must say, since I started brewing in plastic...

When a dozen chickens aren't enough, get 20 more, why not?

chickens.jpg

My 21 yr old son and his girlfriend are in my hot tub tonight. I'm trying to ignore the sitch in case they get frisky. Weird, that. Hanging out with you fools until she leaves and I can turn everything off.

Yeah, it's a strange feeling when your kids get to that age...

Sometimes you just have to figure what the hell and say it. Only time I ever really grew anything huge was when I was breastfeeding. Now I grow things mediocre at best. Though I must say, since I started brewing in plastic...

When a dozen chickens aren't enough, get 20 more, why not?

That's a lot of nuggets!

You should go join them, and guarantee that none of that nonsense will happen :D

They asked. Good kids. Had them at Busch Gardens all day.

I'd prefer they get frisky. I've forgotten most of my life at this point, but NONE of the frisky times.

When you are 21, you think those random, chaotic moments alone with another young sexy person are going to continue forever. Then you're 47 and realize that, regardless of how much you want to be energetic and young again, those moments are behind you. Not completely of course, but the innocence and wonder are gone. I wouldn't interrupt that for a zillion dollars.

I remember when my son was about 19 or 20, showed me his "new car". He must have stepped on the brakes too hard and didn't realize the case of condoms hidden under his front seat had slipped into the back seat floorboard. I just told him, "go easy on those brakes" after I pretended not to notice.

BobbiLynn said:
I was thinking that since it's a PITA to carry off recyclables here, maybe I should use the stuff to create yard art. Driveway is a mile long so no neighbors that can be offended by the hideous(in their eyes) sculptures, but when occasionally friends come by, they will be VERY impressed! Monsters duking it out in the woods, that would be sweet. Or a village of hideous creatures camping out in front of the house, or maybe behind my shed. Giants!
Make it spooky, and you could have a haunted walk for Halloween !

Stauffbier said:
Yeah, it's a strange feeling when your kids get to that age...

Yup

passedpawn said:
They asked. Good kids. Had them at Busch Gardens all day.

I'd prefer they get frisky. I've forgotten most of my life at this point, but NONE of the frisky times.

When you are 21, you think those random, chaotic moments alone with another young sexy person are going to continue forever. Then you're 47 and realize that, regardless of how much you want to be energetic and young again, those moments are behind you. Not completely of course, but the innocence and wonder are gone. I wouldn't interrupt that for a zillion dollars.

:mug:

BobbiLynn said:
I remember when my son was about 19 or 20, showed me his "new car". He must have stepped on the brakes too hard and didn't realize the case of condoms hidden under his front seat had slipped into the back seat floorboard. I just told him, "go easy on those brakes" after I pretended not to notice.

My three kids and I were shopping for school clothes. My son took off alone and returned with a big box of condoms. He threw them in the cart, and I bought them.

Yeah, I don't interrupt the friskyness, but I did pay the Dr and Rx bill for birth control. Think what you will of me, but I want my daughter to finish college before I get grandkids.

Yeah, I don't interrupt the friskyness, but I did pay the Dr and Rx bill for birth control. Think what you will of me, but I want my daughter to finish college before I get grandkids.

Heh, yes, that's the other side of the coin. My oldest son's been toting rubber for a long time, so I think he's got it under control (and his GF is 27 with post-grad degrees, so she's under control I think).

I have an 18yo daughter that I'm keeping an eye on. I've frightened her current boyfriend too much in the past, but now that you mention it, it's time to screw with him again. I know what he's thinking, been there.

Make it spooky, and you could have a haunted walk for Halloween !

I know just the trail to use for the haunted walk. I have been on some great haunted walks and I think I could make mine better. Bridges so flimsy, you feel like you probably will die crossing them, but you get across, usually guests get across, not always, would you like to hear the tales? His name was Emery and he used to sneak over to fish... late at night is when he would arrive.... Sometimes he'd steal a rabbit or two. Let's keep walking to find out what happened to him....

Gods I just rolled in half drunk. I guess I am going to play lumberjack again this summer and start by cutting some fairly big trees in a car lot.

Hehe I am getting paid in beer though and can sell the wood so it will be a good couple of days.

Nothing wrong working for beer unless you drink it before performing the work. :ban:

I used to grow loofah. I had some as long as 24 inches. I had new virgin soil back then, and everything I grew was huge. My favorite was tomatoes the size of grapefruits.

Well, I got a lot done today. Got my co2 tank, hooked it up, mounted the air manifold inside of the keezer, and I leak tested everything. No leaks! Then I made my sloted socket to remove the post on my kegs. After I finished that I started stripping down kegs, cleaning them, and replacing O rings. I discovered that most of the poppet O rings are bad, and I forgot to order those. Out of 4 kegs I only ended up with 2 good poppets. So, that left me with one good keg, which is fine since I only have one batch of beer fermenting. I chose not to keg the cider, because I realized I don't have K Sorbate to kill the yeast. Plus I'd rather save the one good keg for my upcoming IPA. I'll order some O rings along with a couple poppets to replace some that were questionable.

On another note... My 7 year old Dwarf Grannysmith Apple tree has more flowers than it's ever had before. I guess the root system has finally established itself enough to make a good amount of fruit. It looks like I'm going to make a lot of hard cider this year.
You may be interested in this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/green-apple-cider-401357/

Thanks! Nice recipe! Sounds very good.

I also have a house recipe for hard cider that I use, but I might have to give yours a try some time. Mine is only 7-8% ABV, and it sneaks up on you. I can only imagine how yours packs a punch.

I was just discussing the topic of making an apple press with a friend on Beerforum...
After six months, there is no alcohol taste or aroma to it at all. Zip. So it pretty much pops out of nowhere and hits you with a sledgehammer.

I remember pressing apples for cider when I was very young. I also remember trying to do it with the wrong kind of apples and not yielding anything to speak of. Not sure how granny smiths are on the juicing scale, but I'm thinking they might be a little dry to press without a real serious industrial press.

I remember pressing apples for cider when I was very young. I also remember trying to do it with the wrong kind of apples and not yielding anything to speak of. Not sure how granny smiths are on the juicing scale, but I'm thinking they might be a little dry to press without a real serious industrial press.

I hadn't thought about that, but I think you're probably right. My cider actually requires me to cook down the apples in to applesauce, and then strain it. It's a bit of work, but it makes a delicious cider.

Bother. You guys are going to be the ruin of me. I got my first batch of mead going and since I got 10 or so apple trees I bet this summer some cider is in my future :cross:

Got two plum trees as well so shut up about brewing with plums :D

I was thinking of doing a plum sour.. I've got 12 gallons of sour base, and an awesome source for plums.

If and when you do I'd be happy to do quality control testing for you! ;)

A sour is something I actually haven't brewed yet. I only have a little experience with sours, since they're hard to come by in my city. The few I've had I enjoyed with the exception of Duchesse. I didn't care for that one.

I do intend on brewing one this year. I just don't know how or what yet...

wassup late nighters?

Sour beers are easy, Stauff. Brew a Flanders Red with Jamil's recipe and pitch Wyeast Roeselare. Ignore it for at least 2 or 3 months. Then throw a bunch of sour cherries or zante currants in there and ignore again for a few months. Then bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
wassup late nighters?

Sour beers are easy, Stauff. Brew a Flanders Red with Jamil's recipe and pitch Wyeast Roeselare. Ignore it for at least 2 or 3 months. Then throw a bunch of sour cherries or zante currants in there and ignore again for a few months. Then bottle.

That sounds great! I love the idea of the currants. I'll look up the recipe.

Thanks!

hmmmm.... just sitting here trying to plan a sour cherry stout that I am brewing tomorrow.

I've got two carboys full of a vanilla stout that have been getting funky on brettanoymyces since last fall. Brett Lambicus really gives a nice cherry flavor that is interesting. The other carboy has Brett bruxellensis and, while funky, never developed the layers of complexity that the brett L did.

I mean to bottle these soon, I just need to repair my vinator first. Dang thing broke on me.

I moved a sour belgian golden on cherries yesterday to another fermenter to make room for the stout I am brewing tomorrow. It actually seemed pretty decent (about 7 months old). That is my first sour. Tomorrow's will be #2. Basically a similar grainbill to Tart of Darkness, Low hops, Roeselare yeast...... will add montmorency cherry concentrate later in secondary. Still pretty much in experiment mode on sours.

hmmmm.... just sitting here trying to plan a sour cherry stout that I am brewing tomorrow.

Sour stouts are hard to pull off. What's your plan?

EDIT: never mind, you posted your plan while I was posting this.

I've got two carboys full of a vanilla stout that have been getting funky on brettanoymyces since last fall. Brett Lambicus really gives a nice cherry flavor that is interesting. The other carboy has Brett bruxellensis and, while funky, never developed the layers of complexity that the brett L did.

I mean to bottle these soon, I just need to repair my vinator first. Dang thing broke on me.

Those sound very interesting. I've got a 'belgian' export stout with brux and wild blackberries going now.

I moved a sour belgian golden on cherries yesterday to another fermenter to make room for the stout I am brewing tomorrow. It actually seemed pretty decent (about 7 months old). That is my first sour. Tomorrow's will be #2. Basically a similar grainbill to Tart of Darkness, Low hops, Roeselare yeast...... will add montmorency cherry concentrate later in secondary. Still pretty much in experiment mode on sours.

My sours come out very sour. Probably too sour. I don't drink them much because of that. Sour = acidic = heartburn = eat a couple Tums before you go to bed.

10lbs 2 row
1lb flaked oats
.75 lbs 60 crystal
.5 lb chocolate
.25 midnight wheat
2 ounces roast barley

.5 ounce EKG

Trying to aim for the light side of a stout and the heavy side of sour/cherry. New Glarus Cherry Stout would be the "inspiration" I am shooting for.

My sours come out very sour. Probably too sour. I don't drink them much because of that. Sour = acidic = heartburn = eat a couple Tums before you go to bed.

So, what would be the trick to make them less sour. I'm not a fan of sours that are overly sour.

So, what would be the trick to make them less sour. I'm not a fan of sours that are overly sour.

If you don't want them to get really sour, pitch S-05 first, wait a week, then pitch the bugs (i.e., Roeselare).

In this way, the souring bugs (bacteria) have less to feed on and theoretically make less sour.

I am a founding member of D.A.D.D

Dads against daughters dating. I know it is going to happen but I do not have to like it
I'm a founding member of the We Hate Acronyms Team. Next time somebody spews a bunch of only loosely related acronyms at you, just say WHAT?

Sorry, I thought of this the other day and have been looking for an excuse to post it.

I hadn't thought about that, but I think you're probably right. My cider actually requires me to cook down the apples in to applesauce, and then strain it. It's a bit of work, but it makes a delicious cider.
You could do the steam and freeze method from the green apple recipe. It yields a very different flavor from cooked apples. The large ice crystals formed in the fruit from the slow freezing in a residential freezer still pokes plenty of holes in the cells. That way you can still get most of the juice out. You also don't have to worry about the pectin setting since the amount of heat you are using is pretty minor during the steaming.

If you don't want them to get really sour, pitch S-05 first, wait a week, then pitch the bugs (i.e., Roeselare).

In this way, the souring bugs (bacteria) have less to feed on and theoretically make less sour.

Hmmm. I tried a sour for the first time recently. Russian River Supplication. Scored it in Yooper's HB swap. It was way too tart for me, but I liked the taste. My brew buddy thought it was amazing and wants to try and brew something funky now. Maybe I'll give that a shot and do a side by side.

Hmmm. I tried a sour for the first time recently. Russian River Supplication. Scored it in Yooper's HB swap. It was way too tart for me, but I liked the taste. My brew buddy thought it was amazing and wants to try and brew something funky now. Maybe I'll give that a shot and do a side by side.

Yes, it is. I opened a Consecration this afternoon. It's a very sour delicacy as well. More wine-like, and very sour.

I will just jump in and say that I am now tatted. It didn't hurt at all. I didn't expect it to take 4 hours. Supposedly it's going to hurt tomorrow, and scab up, but I doubt it. I barely even bled. I will get a pic soon, tired.

Back