How much hops is too much for a fresh hop ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK....how much hops is too much hops when making a fresh hop/wet hop ale? I have three plants cascade, centennial and chinook that have intertwined and I picked 34 oz of fresh hops in order to make a wet hop ale? Is this overboard for doing a 5 gallon IPA as a wet hop? I have read that 4-5 oz of wet hops equals about 1 oz of dry hops. My wife loves wet hop ale and what keeps her happy keeps me brewing.

I do not have much experience making fresh hop ales so I don't know if there is a limit beyond which you are extracting something bad out of the hops since they have not been dried properly.

I was just being amusing... mostly to myself it seems. Lol! :ban:

I do understand your dilemma though. I'd use all the hops and then some. :)

The fun thing about harvest Ale's is that you never really know for sure. I've had luck with about 7-8oz wet hops for the equivalent amount of traditional hops. Last years was great! Did this year's about 3 weeks ago, looking forward to tasting it.

Latest posts

Back