How much CO2 Use is Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I finished my kegerator. I put in two 5 gallon corny kegs of homebrew,
hooked everything up, and turned on the gas. Everything seems fine, but about six hours in I noticed the high side pressure has dropped from 550 psig to 500. I have soap sprayed all connections and cannot find a leak. It is a 5 lb. cylinder.

Being new I am curious if this is normal or seems excessive. I know CO2 is getting absorbed so some CO2 consumption is happening. One beer was about 45F and the other 70F when I launched the set up.

Looking for opinions on if this seems like a normal amount or should I continue looking for a leak.

From what I have read, the high pressure gauge isn't useful at all until the tank is just about empty.

AND if you have the tank in the fridge the high pressure will drop accordingly. It would have dropped even if the valve was closed.

From what I have read, the high pressure gauge isn't useful at all until the tank is just about empty.

AND if you have the tank in the fridge the high pressure will drop accordingly. It would have dropped even if the valve was closed.

What he said :)

Back