How do you know if you washed yeast correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjwor

Reaction score
When I bottled my last batch, I was getting ready to dump the yeast cake and thought to myself "I should see what this whole washing yeast thing is about". Without a real thought of using the yeast, I thought it would be a good thing to get practice with none the less.

I didn't have any mason jars around, so I searched to find something similar, I ended up with two jars that came with valentines candy in them, neither are proper for storing this type of stuff obviously, but I had little concern as I'm not actually planning to use the yeast.

I do have a few questions though.

1. How do you know if you have correctly washed yeast? After 2 days of sitting in the fridge they looked like every youtube video showed me, although it seems my liquid above the yeast appears to be a bit darker. They haven't changed much since that point. (I did accidentally leave them out on the counter overnight, no warmer than 70* though)

2. The beer that I pulled this yeast from was an Extract IPA with an OG of 1.072 FG of 1.017. I know I have read that you want to be careful of what you reuse yeast on. So what type of beers would you follow with this? Is it a deal where you want a darker beer than previous, a beer with higher IBUs, or what type of guidelines are there?

3. When using washed yeast, do you pour off the majority of the liquid on the top, or just use the entire jar? Also, I know a starter would be best practice, but if you aren't using one do you just let the yeast sit to get to room temperature before pitching or what?

and finally 4. With what you have read, would you comfortably use this yeast on your next batch? (Making a Coffee Stout next)

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this, and thanks for all the help!

2012-11-01215953.jpg

That's yeast. It's a creamy color. If you get some trub in there it's usually darker and sits below the yeast.

Decant the liquid before using and always make a starter. Yeast viability in the fridge isn't terrible but it isn't great, either. If you just pitch the yeast in that jar in a five gallon batch you will be massively underpitching.

I can't tell from the photo if you have mainly trub, or a yeast layer. The yeast will make a fairly compact off-white layer. If it is yeast, I think you are in good shape.

The over night at 70 should not be a problem.

Normally you want to go from a lower to higher gravity beer. 1.072 is a little higher then I would reuse.

How about this - make a larger starter - 1.5 liters or more at 1.040 or so. Pour off most the liquid from the jar swirl up the yeast and pour about 1/4 into the starter. Cover it with foil and see what happens. If it smells like bear and tastes like beer - your golden.

I've washed yeast many times and get 3-6 generations with out any problem. I am very careful with sanitation.

Thanks Guys!

I'm not exactly sure what "bear" smells like, but if it taste like beer i'll call it good :D

As for making the starter, I do not have a flask at this point, what other containers would work well as a starter? and how long do you do the starter before brewing? Should I stick it in my fermentation chamber once it is made until pitching?

I would pour it all in. And I use a "carafe(sp?)" for my starters. Just a big glass jar I got at grocery store for like 3 bucks. Anything glass is best, just sanitize it and keep it covered with tinfoil.

yes that looks like washed yeast.......stick it in the fridge and whenever you are ready for a yeast starter, pour of most of the liquid on top out and swirl it up real good and dump it into any clean/sanitized glass vessel big enough for the volume of starter you wanna make....pour in some 1.040 or so starter wort and cover it with sanitized aluminum foil...then shake the crap out of it ( with your hand holding the foil lid down of course) set it someplace warmish...every time you walk by swirl it around...10 times a day isn't too many. If you were successful in your washing attempt you will start getting foam in a day or so. Granted I use a stir plate but I just brewed a beer with some yeast I washed about 18 months ago.. the starter took off really slow but the beer I used it in( 1.070 chocolate oatmeal ) I brewed on 10-29.. i JUST checked gravity and it is at terminal gravity already according to beer calculus (1.020)

I've pitched harvested yeast straight into a beer with great results after a week, but I use a starter for pretty much all washed yeast now. I've used washed yeast at least twice recently, and it always works great. From one batch I can get enough to make 3 more... Can't argue with that.

tjwor said:
Thanks Guys!

I'm not exactly sure what "bear" smells like, but if it taste like beer i'll call it good :D

As for making the starter, I do not have a flask at this point, what other containers would work well as a starter? and how long do you do the starter before brewing? Should I stick it in my fermentation chamber once it is made until pitching?

I use a 2-liter soda bottle.

Latest posts

Back