Hops I don't understand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBadBeerBaron

Reaction score
I just was given aprox 3 oz each of Calypso, Comet and Belma hop pellets. I have no idea what they are like or how to use them in a recipe. Would really like to use them with the ingredients I have on hand. I have:
1lb brown malt
1lb carafoam
2lb crystal 40
Tons of pale 2-Row
Also have 1oz of hallertau tradition and 1/2lb of Falconers Flight
Im still new to all grain, not sure what hops compliment each other, and don't want to make a ****ty beer by just guessing.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Thanks for the links. The first one is definitely helpful. Sorry, still learning. Looks like I could make a decent APA using the comet as bittering hops and Calypso for aroma/flavor. Any other ideas guys?

Thinking the same thing, but if I use comet as bittering, will much of it's characteristics come through?

@McKnuckle Thinking the same thing, but if I use comet as bittering, will much of it's characteristics come through?

@McKnuckle Thinking the same thing, but if I use comet as bittering, will much of it's characteristics come through?

**I'm not good at editing posts**

Will do. Maybe I'll make an IPA. Throw caution to the wind and throw them all in. I'll probably brew this Saturday or Sunday, so I'll post my recipe then.

Calypso makes for a rather clean bittering hop. From my experience with it as a dry hop the pear aroma is present but very, very subtle. I have used it as a late hop addition in a Mild to add to the complexity of the aroma without a noticeable "hop" aroma.

After 60 mins in the boil, you will get all the iso-alpha-acids, and (nearly) none of the flavor/aroma hop oils. Bittering hops are fairly interchangable per AA%.. generally speaking.

I like the idea of a british ale/porter with the Comet bittering, and Calypso for flavor/aroma... Especially since you have some brown malt on hand.

e.g.
8# 2-row
1# Brown malt
1# Crystal 40
1oz Comet @ 60
1oz Calypso @ 5
1oz Hallertau @ 0
1 pk US-05
Mash @ 154-F

As a suggested starting point...
--LexusChris

p.s. Yes, without British malts & British yeast, it is hardly a British ale.. but with supplies on hand , it may be a British inspired pale ale of some sort... :)

I've had cigar city hopped on the high seas with Calypso and didn't get any apple or pear. I didn't even care for it at all tbh. It's only one beer and I don't know what other hops were used, so take that with a grain of salt.

In regards to Belma, I had a homebrew buddy make a beer and dry hopped half with Belma. The one without tasted spot on like a dunkelweizen while the dry hopped one tasted like strawberries. I absolutely loved it, and will be using it this weekend in an IPA with Galena and Meridian.

I just was given aprox 3 oz each of Calypso, Comet and Belma hop pellets. I have no idea what they are like or how to use them in a recipe. Would really like to use them with the ingredients I have on hand. I have:
1lb brown malt
1lb carafoam
2lb crystal 40
Tons of pale 2-Row
Also have 1oz of hallertau tradition and 1/2lb of Falconers Flight
Im still new to all grain, not sure what hops compliment each other, and don't want to make a ****ty beer by just guessing.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

You may or may not know this but Honestly, Google is an awesome thing for this... You will get great feed back in this thread but just as a general rule if you want the information quicker thats the way to get it... plus threads tend to go one direction or another with opinions...

I just went through the same thing (sort of ) as I purchased a few hop rhizomes and wanted to know what would grow well and work well with the beer styles I normally brew (I already had an indication of what I use the most though).. I learned a lot from google but in the end I bought a book on gardening hops, herb and grains for homebrewing and learned a ton for my application.

I did google the hops but mainly just found brief descriptions from the producers, not much in the way of hands on experience using them.As for the bad edit, I hit the edit button and it automatically added the whole message. I'm on my phone so thats probably why.

Maybe I'll make an IPA.

5 gallon batch
1.067 OG / 1.011 FG

11# 2-Row
0.50# carafoam
0.50# crystal 40
0.50# corn sugar

1 oz. or approx. 49 IBUs Calypso @ 60 min.
1 oz. or approx. 18 IBUs Calypso @ 10 min.
1 oz. or approx. 14 IBUs Belma @ 10 min.

2 oz. Falconers @ hopstand
1 oz. Comet @ hopstand

2 oz. Falconers, 5 day dryhop
1 oz. Comet, 5 day dryhop
1 oz. Calypso, 5 day dryhop

Comet sounds kinda meh

US Comet is actually quite interesting. It is almost as if Columbus, Summit, Galaxy, and Apollo had a baby. You get a blast of pungent grapefruit pith, tangelo juice, pineapple, some grassiness, and a ton of dankness. It's a great flavor/aroma hop for an IPA when used sparingly.

Belma on the other hand is quite meh... grassy, stone fruits, red berries, faded citrus. I bought a pound of this years ago and it was a complete let down for IPAs.

I did a session IPA with Belma, Calypso, and Citra that turned out pretty amazing. Also have used Belma in a saison and a stout. Very nice hop with melon and strawberry flavors.

Does anyone think doing 3 SMaSH brews with the 2-Row and each individual hop would be any good? Was thinking it would be a good way to see what each hop was like on it's own. Either that or I definitely like the looks of that recipe from bobbrews

Does anyone think doing 3 SMaSH brews with the 2-Row and each individual hop would be any good? Was thinking it would be a good way to see what each hop was like on it's own. Either that or I definitely like the looks of that recipe from bobbrews

For Belma, a lighter style would probably show it off best. Its flavor is easy to overwhelm. Maybe a dry-hopped kolsch, or at most a smash pale ale with Maris Otter.

Calypso is a bit more flavorful, but I've never used it by itself. Could try an East Coast IPA. Never heard of Comet.

Belma makes a nice pale ale especially with a little citra late in the boil. I made it several times back when when hops direct was selling them for $5 a pound.

Anyone still interested, here's what I did:
10lbs pale
1 lbs crystal 40l
60 min mash @153
1oz F.F. Fwh
.5 oz comet @60 min
.5 oz Calypso @ 30 min
1 oz F.F. @ 5 min
1 oz of Belma @ flame out
Dont have my notes in front of me but should be about 118 IBU.
Hope it turns out.
O.G. was 1.048. Should have been 1.054, but the grain mill hasn't arrived yet so the crush wasn't as good as it should be. Hoping to hit 1.010.
Used S0-5 washed ale yeast. Fermenting nicely right now.
Thanks for all the tips and info guys!!

Back