Hop Ramen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsterBaker

Reaction score
I was in San Diego last fall and I visited Pizza Port in Carlsbad. They had an interesting beer there called Hop Ramen. The description at the brewery stated that they added ramen noodles to the mash. I was both freaked out and intrigued by this, so I had to try it. It was great! A nice west coast IPA that had a definite ramen noodle flavor in it. It sounds weird, but the flavors just seemed to work.

I'm looking to try and clone this, but I'm trying to figure out how much I should add. I'm thinking of taking a basic IPA recipe and utilizing some left over hops that I have in my freezer. Has anyone ever tried working with noodles in their mash????

While this does sound very strange, that would not stop me from trying it either. I wonder what kind of noodles they used. I'm sure as we are all aware there are many different types of "ramen noodles" Are we talking the .20cent paks of top ramen at wally world? Or traditional Ramen Noodles? Either way I'm not sure how it would work. There is a lot of starch and fats in them. Guess that's where the flavor comes from???

I wish I still lived there. I grew up in Oceanside and my church was the next block from pizza port. Ive enjoyed so many beers there. I would try that in a heartbeat.

Yes, I brew quite often with pasta in the mash. I typically use 30-40% overcooked thin spaghetti added to the mash. Pasta is typically 100% raw wheat, so i believe it gives a similar dryish crisp to the beer.

Try it, it works...

People are freaked out when they try it and I tell them there is spaghetti in the beer, I call it spaghetti wheat beer.

This all when I went to my LHBS cause I needed some wheat for wheat beer, well 6 lbs at $2.50 a lb set me back $15...so I looked at some pasta in my cubboard and the ingredients were 100% wheat...

Yes, I brew quite often with pasta in the mash. I typically use 30-40% overcooked thin spaghetti added to the mash. Pasta is typically 100% raw wheat, so i believe it gives a similar dryish crisp to the beer.

Try it, it works...

People are freaked out when they try it and I tell them there is spaghetti in the beer, I call it spaghetti wheat beer.

This all when I went to my LHBS cause I needed some wheat for wheat beer, well 6 lbs at $2.50 a lb set me back $15...so I looked at some pasta in my cubboard and the ingredients were 100% wheat...

So you cook the pasta prior to adding it? How do you build your recipe around the pasta addition -- do simply assume a ppg close to that of raw wheat?

So you cook the pasta prior to adding it? How do you build your recipe around the pasta addition -- do simply assume a ppg close to that of raw wheat?

Yes, I overcook the crap out of it till it is like the noodles in Campbells soup. I just sub it in a recipe for barley at 1-1, I have no idea the gravity points in spaghetti, but yes I treat it as raw wheat...

Oh, I also dump the whole pot in, the starchy spaghetti water as well....be careful it can be trick cooking 5 lbs of pasta, don't let it burn on the bottom of the pot, once it boils turn the heat down and give it a hard simmer for 30-60 minutes till it is way overcooked.

Rather than pasta, couldn't you add flour, low-protein maybe? Seems you'd get more out of it.

Ramen is fried, but I guess the residual oil isn't enough to matter.

Instant ramen is fried, but traditional ramen noodles aren't.

I don't know about instant ramen noodles, but traditional ramen are alkali noodles, which creates some very distinctive flavors.

ramen is pre cooked by deep frying as far as I know. you should probably check that, it wouldn't take much oil to destroy your head retention.

it is a really cool way of using rice. it's kind of the same idea as flaked grains... pre cooked and smashed up real good!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

If you look around you can find low-fat ramen which has not been fried

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back