Honey Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no_borders

Reaction score
I never brewed with honey before, but after having a honey wheat at a local brewpub, i really want to try brewing one. i was wondering if anyone knew ,if i substituted some honey out for base malt, would it darken the color at all in the final product? the one from the pub was a lot more amber in color than most wheats, but didnt really taste like too many specialty malts, so my guess was the honey? any thoughts...

There is a product called "honey malt" you may want to look into that. I have personally never used it, so I cant say how much "honey taste" you'll get.

Honey, according to hopville only has an L of 1, while Honey malt has an L of 25. both carry about the same ppg (35-37). However, I am not sure if that takes into account the color change of honey heating up to boiling. I would imagine though, that the beer you had, used honey malt, which may explain the darker color.

ive decided honey malt is a good route, thinkin about some lemongrass too, ive used it in cooking with sauces and such, ever use it in beer? i dont want to overdo it, but have a nice underlying lemon flavor too, just thinking about amounts if anyone has some input

I am using it tomorrow.
I am using 1 to 1.5 oz or so at 5min in boil and then a shaved stalk in secondary...the only thing is, I am also adding coriander and pomegranate, so there is going to be a lot going on in the beer...

I just made a honey apple wheat where the honey was honey malt. I used 2/3 of a pound of honey malt and from the time the grain was milled until the brew went into the fermentor, there was a noticeably sweet, honey-like aroma. I am kegging tomorrow, we'll see how it came out.

I've used actual honey before and it doesn't give what you would typically consider a honey taste or aroma. It's basically amounts to adding sugar. I'm hoping the malt gives an actual honey-ish taste.

when using lemongrass, we always broke it up real fine in the restaraunt business,is it the same in the brewing?

I recently made a 5 gallon batch of a honey blonde with 9 lbs 2 row and 1 lb honey malt. Has a great sweet nose without being overpowering with a good light flavor.

I made a belgian strong ale with 8 oz. honey malt that also had coriander, and 8 oz. of carevienne. It has been about 4 months since it was bottled and the honey flavor is very light(almost not noticeable). If there is a lot going on in the beer, I would use a lb of the honey malt, but thats just my two cents and I'm fairly new at this.

i ended up using 3 lbs of actual honey right in the boil, and also using 4 oz honey malt. after fermentation there was no honey flavor or aroma, so i put a pound of honey in the keg. and after i poured off a few pints of straight honey it was actually really good. it mellowed out into a great beer

Back