Homebrewing ACRONYMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish the SWMBO acronym term would go away. It makes us sound like we're on a bad CBS sitcom with Leah Remini, Jean Kelly, or Patricia Heaton.

Not that those actresses are bad, they're probably alright, but the parts they had to play were usually awful.

I really wish the SWMBO acronym term would go away. It makes us sound like we're on a bad CBS sitcom with Leah Remini, Jean Kelly, or Patricia Heaton.

Not that those actresses are bad, they're probably alright, but the parts they had to play were usually awful.

That and "wife" is shorter which kinda defeats the point of an acronym.

Rather than simply listing all the various acronyms/abbreviations, how about a sticky explaining the 3 basic types of home brewing - Kit, Extract, All Grain - and when appropriate, explain how/when all these acronyms apply?

I would think that would be much more helpful to Beginners than simply showing them a huge list of things they potentially know little or nothing about.

Rather than simply listing all the various acronyms/abbreviations, how about a sticky explaining the 3 basic types of home brewing - Kit, Extract, All Grain - and when appropriate, explain how/when all these acronyms apply?

I would think that would be much more helpful to Beginners than simply showing them a huge list of things they potentially know little or nothing about.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

Just to be a pendant, very few of these are acronyms. They are abbreviations. Acronyms are a special class of abbreviations that can be pronounced as a word. SCUBA is an Acronym (and abbreviation). LHBS is just an abbreviation.

To be even more "pendantic", they are initialisms. And both acronyms and initialisms are both abbreviations (I just learned that! Thank you Web!) But no one really cares as acronym will probably always be used to term words turned into uppercase letters.

I like that now I know what HLT and MLT define. The humor was good too (like including wart in opposition to wort. ).

Yes, exactly. I think a Sticky with resources like that, or even this one - http://homebrewmanual.com/home-brew-beginners/ - would be very helpful for beginners.

The process can be intimidating enough for somebody just looking in to getting started. Moreso when the terminology sounds like a foreign language

A guide explaining the very basics, in the "Beginners" forum, is almost a necessity IMO.

Which is the EXACT reason to have a page where people can find out what an abbreviation means.

That is why any and every textbook on a given subject has a 'glossary' of common and important terms in them, for in order to understand and utilize information the terms must be (sorry for the pun) spelled out. It facilitates communication which is critical in passing along the instructions and knowledge of home brewing.

So, yes, a page of the brewing basics is mandatory but without the definition of terms and abbreviations that beginners will see in everything that they read in said page, the information will not be understood.

Which is the EXACT reason to have a page where people can find out what an abbreviation means.

That is why any and every textbook on a given subject has a 'glossary' of common and important terms in them, for in order to understand and utilize information the terms must be (sorry for the pun) spelled out. It facilitates communication which is critical in passing along the instructions and knowledge of home brewing.

So, yes, a page of the brewing basics is mandatory but without the definition of terms and abbreviations that beginners will see in everything that they read in said page, the information will not be understood.

Right, a textbook does have a glossary of terms which, when referred to from the teaching of the text, explain their usage to aid understanding.

I'm not saying an acronym list shouldn't exist. What I'm saying is we're missing the very content that makes the glossary necessary. We have here a Beginner's forum, with no beginner tutorial like what is contained on that site link.

Essentially, we have a glossary without the textbook.

AAINASOFISACVOSTKCOOYB. Pronounced: ain-as-of-i-sack-voost-coib

An Airlock Is Not A Sign Of Fermentation. It's Simply A Check Valve Of Sorts To Keep Contaminants Out Of Your Brew.

And yet SWMBO, despite not being a brewing term, taking more keystrokes that "wife", and just being tacky like it came out of a late 90s / early 00s CBS sitcom, still has a place on the wiki... :smh:

Back