Here's my taylor 1 gal keg super simple co2 lid conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
I know these are very rare, but I thought I'd share how I converted them.

I found an amazing deal on some 1 gallon Taylor on eBay. I offered the guy $150 shipped for all 3 of the kegs, so I scored each one for $50 shipped!

I've seen people add ball locks to the lid using a multitude of adapters to make it work. The result is a hideous contraption, plus the cost for parts was a lot. So I set out to figure out a better method that cost less and kept everything simple, clean and cheap.

This is the lid as it comes. The adapter is a 1/8" npt to a buoyancy control quick connect (used for scuba diving)

GyBKzJd.jpg

I tried to find an adapter for it at a scuba shop. Didn't work out. The one by Taylor was over $17 plus shipping. And I needed 3, so that was out of the question too. So here's what I did.

I removed the fitting

HyyU8sY.jpg

I bought 3 schrader vales to 1/8" npt (these are also known as air lift valves or more commonly as take valves) total cost for all 3 was less than $10 shipped.

beBXqS0.jpg

Here it is. A perfect, low profile, inexpensive, beautiful fit.

eaF8WHO.jpg

There it is in all its glory

NfnxNTi.jpg

The inspiration for this idea was a total mishap. My fiancé bought me the wrong co2 charger. She got one that worked for bike tires only. I had no way of getting it to work for a ball lock fitting. So, I found this method. Now the charger fits right on. The schrader valve doesn't allow gas to escape, and it works amazingly.

UcM4bql.jpg

Alright, I'm ready for a ball game now! Haha

5prreQT.jpg

My next step is to turn a grolsch flip top cooler I bought off Craigs list for $25 into a small kegerator for one of these 1 gallon kegs. The charger adapter and faucet
Will be on the lid while the keg and ice will be "chilling" on the inside.

That's some scary $hit there. I think that CO2 canister has the potential to turn your keg into flying shrapnel, and by not having a pressure release valve in the lid, you've lost the only thing that would have prevented it.

The pessimist in me sees a drunk buddy coming by and giving the charger a good long squeeze when he can't get beer into his glass fast enough.

Back