Here’s coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
9D1F4D3E-2A3D-45D9-BCB8-E1386BEA79EC.jpeg
not sure how well you can all see. But do you think my Herms coil is in correctly. Or should I cut more off the stubs to try to get her more central. I’m clear on all sides of kettle but on one side I’m closer to kettle wall.

Thanks all.

If it'll hold pressure as is you're good to go. I wouldn't bother trying to center the hex dead nuts...

[edit] If you used the stainless ferrules they're pretty much single-use once you've tightened the nuts down snug. If they've compressed on the tubing you'd have to cut them off which would probably move the hex too much towards the bulkhead side.

Otoh, if you used nylon ferrules you can slip those off easily enough to trim the stubs as desired. The only potential issue is scoring them with repeated installation/removal of the nuts...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Im just a stickler for trying to get everything looking uniform, there stainless and i have just tightened them up thats how its staying, finally im getting to the end of the build, just a few more things to add, then buy some pumps, if any one has any good recommendations on pumps, should i go expensive route or cheaper pumps from China, decisions decisions

As tripper mentioned, to move it now, you would have to cut off the ferules. That amount of removal could move your coil to the opposite side past center.

Then you would have to get out the tubing stretcher.

Good to go... unless your coil was pushing hard up against the other wall I wouldn't worry so much here. If you try to yank that out and cut off some you'll have a super hard time getting those fittings "off"; when you tighten compression fittings they actually move/squeeze that steel ... usually you have to just cut them clean off and you may cut more than you want.

You will suffer no issues with heat transfer if your coil isn't 100% centered. A lot of people would give anything to have their coil looking as pretty as this one. There are some mangled messes out there from a time before you could buy them pre-coiled.

Latest posts

Back