Help With All Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rye adds a nice spicy-ness that I think tends to be under-utlized in the brewing world.

Just saw this post, but I would +1 on the rye malt. Rye and cascade are like peanut butter and jelly to me. I did a wet-hopped rye cascade IPA in early September (home-grown cascade) that turned out great. We had a dry summer so the hops were all a bit spicier than usual, so it is hard to distinguish where one ends and the other begins. 30% rye malt left a really, really sticky mash though, so I was glad I used a BIAB in my mash tun (sticky to the point where opening the valve and nothing comes out, I had to pull up the bag to release the mash).

FYI. This turned out to be correct. Went with the 1 oz of Magnum and it was a bit too bitter. I'm going to go back to the original recipe with all cascades and give that a roll.
I have actually done this with a .5 ounce of magnum to bitter and it turned out fine. The magnum has a pretty high AA as you have figured. I bring it up because I bitter just about everything with magnum.

I have to brew 10 gallons of this now because I can't keep it on tap.

FYI, Yooper has a splendiforous Haus Pale I've made many many times--recipe is all Cascade, recipe is very nice balance malt and Cascade flavor

Just sayin'
I will have to check this out! As of now, I'm just sort of brewing the basic pale ale I first listed in this post over and over again to refine it. This next batch, I'm upping the late cascade additions and going back to bittering with cascade over magnum.

I just tapped my latest recipe. I went 9 lb 2 row, 1 lb crystal 40, 1 oz cascade at 60, 1 oz cascade at 15, 2 oz cascade at 5, and 2 oz cascade at flameout. Used us 05 yeast. This one is really hitting the spot and was exactly what I was looking for.

Back