Help With 220

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring_Chicken

Reaction score
My dad wants to make tractor fuel with an extra dryer outlet he has. Is there a build thread that tells part numbers and directions for installing a heating element and controller to a still?

My dad wants to make tractor fuel with an extra dryer outlet he has. Is there a build thread that tells part numbers and directions for installing a heating element and controller to a still?
With a properly designed still, there is no need for a controller when the output will be used for fuel. The still design is Very specific for that intended output. The wash can be at a raging boil. No problem.

P-J what type of still do you have? Does it have an automated reflux head based on temperature? Do you get azeotrope from it?

P-J what type of still do you have? Does it have an automated reflux head based on temperature? Do you get azeotrope from it?
I don't have. I design. ;)
The design is a high capacity reflux head using a 2" ID copper tower with inline triple wrapped condensate coils.

Azeotrope is the fractural net result of normal distillation. It is a mix of 'some' water with the alcohol. There is a way to pull pure from the net during a second run. Distill at a much lower temperature and the alcohol is vaporized with the water left behind. (Distill under vacuum conditions to accomplish this.).

OK. With a reflux still you can get about 95% ABV alcohol with a range of heat input to the boiler, however there is a maximum heat input for maximum output without flooding and when you get near the end you need to increase the heat input to get the last 15% or so alcohol. A variable controller is needed there. There is also a design for fuel distillation which automates the process somewhat and is independent of heat input.

OK. With a reflux still you can get about 95% ABV alcohol with a range of heat input to the boiler, however there is a maximum heat input for maximum output without flooding and when you get near the end you need to increase the heat input to get the last 15% or so alcohol. A variable controller is needed there. There is also a design for fuel distillation which automates the process somewhat and is independent of heat input.
Whatever you say. You are the boss with the knowledge.
Sorry I interrupted your mission.
Go with your plan.
Just a question. Why did you post this topic on this forum when you know it all??????

I'm out....

Anyone done this? I'm thinking a 1" SS nut from McMaster sanitary welded to the keg he uses, a low density element, a thermocouple, a PID, and SSR/heat sink.

I'd appreciate part numbers or links if anyone has them.

He wants to make what he calls tractor fuel, but some will surely fall in a jar. He doesn't actually own a tractor now that I think of it.

Back