Help me make a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock_Lesnar

Reaction score
Afternoon people,

After seeing a million different ideas on a million different brew kettles, I thought I'd just bite the bullet and ask a potentially dumb question.

I own two kegs, one a Sierra Nevada keg and the other one from Boston Brewing Company. I'm yet to cut the tops, but I'd assume they have a concave bottom.

So with that in mind, I'd like to start my next stage of brewing by making my boil kettle. Here's what I'm hoping to figure out.

1. Other than a side pick up and a sight glass, what will I need in terms of fittings?

2. If I want to whirlpool, what will I need? Can someone explain how this works? I'd imagine it draws from the side pickup, gets drawn through a pump of some sort then comes in through another input up top somewhere?

3. Do I need some sort of hop filter? At the moment I'm leaving HEAPS of beer in my ****ty old pot. I've just brewed and was really annoyed at the volume of hop filled wort from not having anything way to get a really good prolonged whirlpool going.

Hoping to get an idea of how I might do this soon so I can get an order in to Bargain Fittings. Here's hoping they'll ship to New Zealand!

Back