Help adjusting dry hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatfloyd

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just brewed a Kern river citra IPA clone. This is the recipe I followed: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/kern-river-citra-dipa-343603/

Unfortunately, I got a very low OG from the mash. I got a 1.044 gravity after boil, when the recipe said to expect around 1.070. I am thinking of adjusting the dry hop schedule since the beer will end up very different to what I was expecting. Any ideas? I am not sure if its good idea to use that many Citra hops for a beer with that low OG.

This is my second all grain brew, and I was very careful with temperatures since my first all grain also had very low efficiency. Any ideas on what may be causing my low efficiency problems? Grains are milled at my local homebrew shop and I don't think that may be the problem. I also calibrated my thermometer to make sure I was getting the right temperatures. Thanks guys!

Hmm. That's really low efficiency. You're probably going to end up with a pretty bitter beer if you kept the boil hops the same. You might want to describe your process so we can better help.

Hmm. That's really low efficiency. You're probably going to end up with a pretty bitter beer if you kept the boil hops the same. You might want to describe your process so we can better help.

I followed the mash schedule the same way its posted. I first added boiling water to pre heat my mash tun for around 15 mins. I then added the grains and heated my water to 162F. It dropped to around 146 and I added some boiling water to get to the 148F specified in the recipe. I left it sit for the entire 60 mins. I monitored temps and stirred the mash to avoid heat pockets.

I did a vorleauf and then followed the sparge with the 168F water. Left it rest for around 5 mins. I know it would have been better to let it rest for more time. But I doubt 10 more mins would have given me 25 points of gravity, but idk. Then I did another vorleauf and that's it. My thermometer is brand new and I made sure it was calibrated. :/

Is there anything I can do to save this beer?

Next time have the home brew shop run the malt through twice. It sounds like it's too coarse for a 60 minute mash at 148. An IPA is usually mashed at 154-156. At those temps it might have converted in 60 minutes. At 148 it's going to take a lot longer. Beta amylase works much slower than Alpha does. I would get some iodine and do an iodine test. Take some clean wort and put a drop of iodine in it. If it changes to a dark red or black there is still starches that haven't been converted. If it doesn't change color then it's good.

Next time have the malt milled twice.
Raise your mash temps.
Check with iodine before you quit mashing.

As far as this beer, I guess you could boil up some DME and add it in to raise your gravity or add some Belgium syrup to raise it. It's going to be hoppy so I wouldn't dry hop it unless you raise the gravity.

You could try adjusting for your efficiency by boiling an equivalent amount of malt extract in some water and adding carefully to the fermenter. Then follow the recipe for your dry hop. I used BrewPal for iOS on one recently, just adjusted my recipe efficiency down to my actual and added DME to the recipe until it was my desired amount, boiled and added while it was fermenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back