Have I harvested enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerdedBrewer

Reaction score
Tried harvesting yeast for the first time last night. Looks like my yeast layer is pretty thin? Anyone think any of these will be good enough to use?

Thanks! :beard:

Yeast Harvest Attempt.jpg

What's your secret?
Garbage in, garbage out!

Transferring as little break and hop material to fermenter as possible.
Pitch plenty of healthy yeast.
Don't dry hop in the primary.
Cold crash primary shortly after fermentation ends to get healthier yeast and more of the less flocculant yeast.

I did dry hop in the primary, I think that's my biggest problem here. AnOldUR what are your thoughts on whether I should try to use what I have or not?

Personally, I would not. I've read that hop oils cling to the yeast cells, but I'm no scientist. I'm sure there are people here who would tell you that there is plenty of viable yeast in the trub.

I don't like to make starters. By pitching a clean slurry within 2-4 weeks from when the original yeast was pitched, I don't find it necessary. A quick rinse in the carboy and decanting into jars is a lot easier for me.

Back