Re-pitching a yeast that had produced excess sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjhbrew

Reaction score
Like many, I often line up a few brews that allow me to harvest and reuse the same yeast. In the spring I like to make a witbier followed by a white ipa. In the past I’ve used the mangrove jacks wit yeast and liked the result, however, this time around my lhbs only had Lallemand wit in stock. I brewed my usual wit recipe and for the first time ever ended up with a ton of stinky sulfur. I’m not really sure if I did anything wrong or if it’s just conmon to this yeast… what I’m really wondering though, if I reuse this yeast in my upcoming ipa am I really just setting myself up for failure??? What would you all do?

Sulfur smell fermenting, or finished? I wouldn't worry if it only smelled while fermenting.
Unfortunately it’s still pretty strong in the finished beer. I’m thinking that I may have kegged it too early because otherwise it attenuated well.

Kegged or bottled? Sulfur tends to be pretty volatile so if it’s kegged you could try off-gassing and purging the keg a few times.
In my experience, sulfur is a fermentation byproduct and departs fairly regularly. I don’t have full proof advice but I’d probably reuse the yeast without concern.

Sulfur is very common in young witbiers. Fortunately the sulfur disappears with age. If it happens again, just condition the beer near room temperature for 3 or 4 weeks before chilling and enjoying.

Sulfur is very common in young witbiers. Fortunately the sulfur disappears with age. If it happens again, just condition the beer near room temperature for 3 or 4 weeks before chilling and enjoying.
That’s great to hear - I guess I should pull my keg out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature. I went ahead and re-pitched the wit yeast into my ipa today. Hopefully it turns out! Thanks for the replies

Thought I would update this thread. The original wit bier that I brewed is now pouring sulfur free and delicious after giving it a couple weeks of conditioning. The white IPA that I pitched with the harvested yeast fermented vigorously and completely. After 10 days in primary I performed a soft crash down to 15c before dryhopping. At this point I vented the fermenter keg to add dry hops and there was that tell tale sulfur aroma again. I decided to wait on dry hopping for now, I’ll give it another week and see where it’s at.

Back