greetings from memphis,tn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
I still consider myself new to brewing and have completed 5 total batches. Im into the amber and darker beers but still haven't done a batch without a kit but look forward to it :)

Greetings Memphis. Does you name refer to a beard or something else? I am about 5 batches into this hobby including a ginger mead that I just started fermenting.

Welcome fellow memphian. Been doing this for a little while now. Did 10 extract batches, apfelwine, and 2 all grain batches so far.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need any help locally.

Hehe actually it is part of my name without the s on the end and Mead sounds fun too. I will be bottling a Baltic Porter tomorrow that hit its 5th day in secondary. Motleybrew thanks for the offer I will definitely keep in touch if I have any questions or you want to swap brews sometime

Welcome fellow Tennessee Brewer. We have a small Tennessee community that posts in the drunkin rumblings section. Good luck with your beers!

motleybrews said:
Welcome fellow memphian. Been doing this for a little while now. Did 10 extract batches, apfelwine, and 2 all grain batches so far.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need any help locally.

I've never heard of or done apfelwine can you explain to me what it's all about also I just recently brewed a dead guy ale kit. Have you ever done 1 before?

aharri1 said:
I've never heard of or done apfelwine can you explain to me what it's all about also I just recently brewed a dead guy ale kit. Have you ever done 1 before?

I just put my dead guy kit in a keg I got for Christmas. Brewed it about 5 weeks ago. It looks and tastes fantastic. I assume you got yours at mid south malts?

As far as the apfelwine, search for a thread called "man, I love apfelwein", or look up user EdWort and look at his recipes. It's basically red star Montrachet yeast, 5 gal of apple juice (100% juice, not the junk with a whole lot of stuff added), and 2 pounds of dextrose to bump up the alcohol.

I'm brewing an all grain vanilla oat stout tomorrow if you're bored and want to see the all grain process. PM me if you want to stop by.

aharri1 said:

When the apfelwein ferments out, it's like a dry Chardonnay kinda, but it's the closest recipe to (supposedly) to true German apfelwein (cider) you can get in the states. I serve mine flat. I've got a few bottles left. You can see if you like it if you want. Mine is about 12% abv

It says your inbox is full! But yeah I would like to possibly come by tomorrow I've never seen the all grain process

aharri1 said:
It says your inbox is full! But yeah I would like to possibly come by tomorrow I've never seen the all grain process

Just cleaned out my inbox. Didn't realize it was full. I'm not a pro by any means, but it's a ton of fun, and fairly simple. And it'll let you see the basics of what you'll need in the future should you make the jump.

Are you on Facebook? Check out Midsouth brewers and connisours (sp) if you haven't already. It's the local club. Meets at central BBQ on summer on the 3rd Thursday of the month. 7pm I think. Also Nike at Midsouth malts has been doing a tasting Tuesday once a month. Great way to meet other people in the area and taste great homebrews and other beers you can't typically get around here

Hey I know mike and get my supplies from him mostly. I joined the bluff city on facebook my facebook page is facebook.com/newscience3 I would love to come sometime and see the all grain process.

Back