Gratzer (Grodziskie) Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
Hello all. To start, this is a strictly experimental recipe!
The summer before last, I picked up a bottle of Dr. Fritz Briem Gratzer (Grodziskie). Usually I find smoke beers to taste like bacon or an ash tray in a bad way. I'm generally not a fan. But this beer was amazing to me. Reviews had a lot of complaints about it either being not smokey enough or not sour enough, but I think it was a perfect balance. Just a touch of tartness on the tip of the tongue and the lightest hint of smoke in the finish. A subtle biscuity/bready body, but carbonated enough to keep it light. A perfect summer beer. Anyway, emulating the flavors I got out of that beer and not following style guidelines, this is what I was thinking for a 1 gallon test batch. I've occasionally used acid malt in saisons, so I think it should be good percentage wise, but I've never used smoke malt and want to go for a VERY light smoke character.

OG: 1.032
IBU: 24.1
Color: 5.1 SRM
ABV: 3.0 %

.5 lb mesquite smoked malt
1.0 oz acid malt
6.7 oz bavarian wheat DME

.1 oz Magnum (13.3%AA) for 30 min

What do you think about this for a first attempt?

Last edited:
You probably should change your title in order to maximize your chance at a response.

Historical styles are historical for a reason : p and a bit confusing.

You are thinking about a Lichtenhainer which is a sour smoked German Wheat.

A Piwo Godziskie is a Polish oak smoked wheat beer. (traditionally 100% oak smoked wheat malt)

Back