Grapefruit zest AND juice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Will be my first attempt at a grapefruit pale ale. Brewed up Kals Electric APA (which is GREAT by the way) 8 days ago. Seemed like a good base for a grapefruit pale ale judging by the last time I brewed it. Has been in primary in my fermentation chamber at 62 degrees since. Most of the reading I've come across suggests zest in primary along with the dry hops. Have also read that the juice gives a little more flavor at packing time. Nothing was added during the brew process in terms of grapefruit. It will all be added with the dryhops and/or at kegging time. Am wondering what is the best amount of zest and/or juice to add to 5 gallons? What results have you guys experienced with adding zest and/or juice? From my readings the zest seems to give more aroma and the juice adds to the flavor. Sound about right? If that's the case, I'll add both. I'm thinking zest of 5 grapefruits with dryhops for around 5 days. Then the juice of those same 5 grapefruits either prior to racking or straight in the keg. What say you guys? FWIW, I naturally carb my kegs at room temperature for about 3 weeks. I have 10 gallons of this but only plan to grapefruit 5. But if any of you have good results you can easily twist my arm to add grapefruit to all 10 gallons.

In my recipe I use 4oz (2oz per 5gal batch) of sweet orange peel in the boil...then make a grapefruit tincture with the peel (pith removed with a razor) and vodka. let it soak for about 7-10 days and add the whole thing to my carboy (I don't use a secondary) along with my dry hops for 3-4 days then crash/keg/carb.

I use 6 large red grapefruit per 5 gal

Now, I have not done a grapefruit IPA, but I can share the process I have developed for my Green Tea and Citrus Session Saison. In that I end up with complex and round citrus flavors and popping aroma.

What I do is add 2/3 of the citrus I use to the flameout, juice and zest, and the other 1/3 only the zest, sterilized in vodka, 24-48h before bottling. The flameout additions are influenced by primary fermentation making them rounder and more integrated in the beer. That makes them less popping, but very much part of the whole and long lasting. The juice adds a tart edge too. The before bottling zest addition then is the polish that gives that fresh kick. Revitalizes the flameout and brings much more aroma.

Latest posts

Back