Grain into bread? Grain not used during brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfouty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed an all grain beer that I added .25 lbs of honey malt to. I have .75 lbs of gambrinus honey malt left over that I'm not planning on using anytime soon. I wanted to make it into bread. That'd be cool. All the websites I find are using spent grain from the mash. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to make bread using this .75 lbs honey malt or if it is even worth it? Or if I should just follow one of the "spent grain" recipes.

Thanks guys,

Dave F.

No problem using the malted (unmashed) grain. Most bread recipes call for a little bit of sugar to get the yeast going but you could probably skip it if you do a micro mash. Just let the honey malt sit in the recipe's water - but heated. I've used spent grain along with wort (instead of water and sugar) to make bread and it gives a great flavor.

As far as recipe - you can use any whole wheat bread recipe that you like and just sub-in the honey malt for the whole grain.

I like to put crushed honey malt on the outside of my sourdough instead of corn meal. Mad fermentationist has a good recipe on his site. I do something similar with most 'rustic' breads.

Back