• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Connecticut Good deal on Dual SSR's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott06903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Below is a link to the e-bay seller, I told him that I would post here and he agreed to offer a discount to anyone that I sent his way. Put the word Beer in the subject line if you contact him and he should give some discount, not sure how much. He is listing them for $15 each, that breaks down to $7.50 per SSR as these are dual. That's about what the Chinese ones cost direct from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEDYNE-SD...9907363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acdc6 5623

DSC_0082.jpg

Below is a link to the e-bay seller, I told him that I would post here and he agreed to offer a discount to anyone that I sent his way. Put the word Beer in the subject line if you contact him and he should give some discount, not sure how much. He is listing them for $15 each, that breaks down to $7.50 per SSR as these are dual. That's about what the Chinese ones cost direct from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEDYNE-SD...9907363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acdc6 5623

Just sent him a msg... Thank You!

I feel like I'm currently nowhere near needing one of these, since I don't even know what it is for. I assume some component of an electrical brewing controller setup. Can someone point me to where I can get more information or even tell me what I would be searching for? If I might want to upgrade to something in the future, I could start putting together discount parts now...

Thanks,
Steve

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I feel like I'm currently nowhere near needing one of these, since I don't even know what it is for. I assume some component of an electrical brewing controller setup. Can someone point me to where I can get more information or even tell me what I would be searching for? If I might want to upgrade to something in the future, I could start putting together discount parts now...

Thanks,
Steve

An SSR is a Solid State Relay. It is used to turn on a heating element or whatever might need more power than the signaling device can provide.

For example, on my system I use a Pulse Width Modulator circuit to increase or decrease the heat from my electric element. The PWM circuit switches the SSR on and off at a fast rate, which turns the element on and off at a fast rate. (dumbed down for us non-geniuses) but I can turn a knob and adjust the PWM setting and the SSR will follow suit.

My element is 4500 Watt 220V, so providing the necessary circuitry to do this directly would be expensive and require a lot of space. The SSR is simple and inexpensive.

And in this case, it's a dual SSR so I could wire two circuits to it, saving space and likely needing a smaller heatsink (SSRs can get too hot and burn out without protection.)

So that's the quick and dirty explanation.

I appreciate the explanation. I think you broke my brain.

I was considering going electric at some point, should I expand, but if that's the dumbed-down version, I'll be burning propane for a while...

Steve

It's really not that complicated. You got a dial on a PWM circuit. The circuit has two wires going out to the SSR. The SSR has a wire from the 220V. One wire from the 220V goes to the element. The wires from the SSR turn on the SSR, which closes the contact on the 220V wire from the power source, sending it to the element. Or something like that. I don't do well without a diagram in front of me to make sure all of my connections are proper.

Of course a real control panel will have other things in it for safety and then you have a PID for when you want to maintain a temp, like for a mash tun. In that case the PID (temp controller device) sends the signal (12V or 120V) to the 220V SSR to turn the element on and off, but at a much slower rate. The PID has circuitry inside to anticipate overshooting or undershooting temps, and can kind of predict how much heating it should provide in order to keep the temp at the setting.

It's not terribly hard to understand from the birds eye view. I don't know EXACTLY how the PWM circuit does it's thing, but I can buy the components, and etch the circuit boards and make them myself. (Or you can just buy one for like $10...) If you don't know enough to be safe, I highly recommend hiring someone to wire it up for you. There is dangerous levels of voltage in there.

Yeah. $15 each equals $30 plus $7 shipping. Not bad. I paid a little less than that for the cheap Chinese single SSRs I bought for my build.

Uh that is cheap for the real deal - made at Teledyne not a china knockoff
These are dual ssr modules too
I paid 32 in total after shipping after I asked him for a deal.
Btw he balked a Iittle at first and mentioned that he said he would give Scott the deal not me - then he gave me 12.50ea + shipping so you all should just go Make An Offer of 12.50 for each and mention the beer deal you should get it too.

Uh that is cheap for the real deal - made at Teledyne not a china knockoff
These are dual ssr modules too
I paid 32 in total after shipping after I asked him for a deal.
Btw he balked a Iittle at first and mentioned that he said he would give Scott the deal not me - then he gave me 12.50ea + shipping so you all should just go Make An Offer of 12.50 for each and mention the beer deal you should get it too.
Same for me, I ordered a couple of spares just in case, got them for 12.50each

just so you know, I bought these cheaper about a month ago. Look at the ebay history, anyone can see it. He sold a product online and tried different prices until he found the "fair market price for" these. I think he sold them in bulk, 100pcs lot for around $10. I spoke to a few vendors on this site, and made them aware of these, no one bothered to follow up.

I am buying 2 more at a higher price than I paid a month ago.

if you need 100pcs I think you can get them for around $10 each.

I think they are a good deal. if you can do better elsewhere let me know I would like to do better too.

Scott

So I am going to order some. But I have a few questions. I plan to build a 50amp panel that can run (2) 5.5kw elements at a time. 2 in BK, 2 in HLT. I also plan to have (2) pumps. I would like to have relays that switch BOTH hot legs of the elements, so that would mean that I need 2 relays per element, correct? The pumps are 115v so I could just switch the hot leg and be ok. That would mean that I need 10 of these to do what I am thinking. Does that sound right? I am still doing my research on my electric panel.

Thanks.

EDIT: So after looking at little more what the dual part means is that each relay can switch 2 legs. So I could order 5 of these then. I could use (1) relay to run both pumps, and then (1) relay per heating element. But each heating element could still have both hot legs switched through this relay. If I am understanding this then it is pretty slick. I plan on order some of these tomorrow! I will probably order a few extra to have on hand or to use down the road for a panel build for serving/fermentation.

sandyeggoxj

you are correct if you want to switch both legs of your 4 elements you would need 1 ssr each (4 for the elements) and an additional to switch 1 leg each on 2 pumps for a total of 5 dual ssr's.

If you switch both legs of the elements it is arguable that you dont need contactors. People use contactors in case the ssr fails in the closed position. In the case where both legs are switched by the ssr, they both must function in order for the element to fire. It is very unlikely that a failure of both lines would happen at the same time. I bought contactors before I bought my SSR's and I am only switching 1 leg for each element.

If the seller offers connectors for the ssr's get them otherwise you can use the connector cable from a flopy disk drive, just pay attention to the diagram on the ssr. If neither of the above work, I bought some connector components online and they are cheap (<.20ea) I will find the link if needed

photo added to OP of ssr with connector

Thanks Scott. That helps. I think I have it figured out now. I understand the whole concepts of relays because I work with them a lot in low voltage vehicle related applications.

I ended up ordering 10 @ $11 ea. I offered $11, mentioned this site and he accepted. I have a panel build to do for myself and I might be building another for someone else.

Could you find the link for the connectors? I would be interested. Thanks!

these are the connectors I built.

I would talk to the seller he said he had a better/easier source for the connectors.

http://www.dipmicro.com/store/

These are pretty small and kind of a pain to assemble.

Order Inventory:
Product: Wafer 4-pin 0.1” Cable Female Header
Quantity: 25
Product Code: HDR4F
Price: C$0.74

Product: Crimp Pin for Female Cable Connector.
Quantity: 100
Product Code: HDR-PIN-F
Price: C$1.33

Here is what the seller was recommending: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=277-2324-ND

I am getting (10) relays and he doesn't have (10) connectors in stock so I'll just source them elsewhere. Probably from digikey.

EDIT:

So $1.18 per connector from digikey and $3 first class shipping, $5 priority shipping. A little bit more money but they seem pretty dang nice for the price. With the relay, connectors and all shipping included I am at $13.20 each. Just need to add wire. That seems like a good deal to me.

The picture in the OP doesn't really look like a molex... hmm. Can you tell us what you used, Scotty?

these are the ones you see in the pic above

http://www.dipmicro.com/store/

These are pretty small and kind of a pain to assemble.

Order Inventory:
Product: Wafer 4-pin 0.1” Cable Female Header
Quantity: 25
Product Code: HDR4F
Price: C$0.74

Product: Crimp Pin for Female Cable Connector.
Quantity: 100
Product Code: HDR-PIN-F
Price: C$1.33

Ok cool, my IT friend says he has some 4pin wafer connectors. I'll have to snag one of these instead of two cheapy foteks. Thanks.

More like a series of projects. I only need 5 (10 relays total) for the brew stand. A friend is wanting to build one too. He will need a few, and then the glycol chiller for fermenting and some other refrigeration/serving projects . The brew stand is a 11kw 20-gallon.

just got 10 @ $11 each as well, thanks for sharing this guys. He has connectors (though is low on stock) and wanted $3 per, so i will just build them myself or salvage some floppy drives (just threw out a bunch at work too - doh!)

Well, they have arrived! I ordered 10 and got 11. I see a trend here. I won't have a chance to see if they work for a few weeks while I order some more stuff in. I also ordered a dozen of the connecters from digikey. Those were $20 w/ shipping. Those came in 2-business days, the same amount of time it took to get the SSRs. Here are some pictures:

I picked up 8 last night, thanks! Just in time it looks like too.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Home Brew mobile app

Lol, same here... but at least they have heat paste and are bolted to a giant heatsink and installed in the panel. I am holing to do a test run soon. But I don't know when that will be.

I know this is an old thread, but after this time would y'all say that these are legit? The price seems too good to be true, these aren't knockoffs or factory rejects or anything like that are they?

(I assume if they weren't then someone would have posted here.)

They are Teledyne 50 amp ssr units - I have been using mine and have had no problems. I have no idea if they are real or not - i am not qualified to make that call.

I use them. Not a single problem. They appear to be legit. The seller ships fast and the items appear unused. Great deal overall and way better than those crappy ones on amazon that cc brewer is all about. Clearly he doesn't care about quality.

I almost went in for this tonight, but he's only selling 1 at a time for $15 with free shipping. Still a great deal, but I was hoping to get 4 at the price point I already got hyped up about reading the older listings. :) Maybe I'll come back if he's got a few more later in the new year.

I almost went in for this tonight, but he's only selling 1 at a time for $15 with free shipping. Still a great deal, but I was hoping to get 4 at the price point I already got hyped up about reading the older listings. :) Maybe I'll come back if he's got a few more later in the new year.
They are DUAL ssr's, you only need 2 of them

That's weird, I was just able to order multiple units. Also, like it was mentioned in the beginning of the thread, try the "make offer" button and you may save a few more bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321595660389

I just ordered 4 at $12.50 with free shipping by making an offer to him. They look like they will work good and hopefully be higher quality than the cheap ones found elsewhere.

Back