Gluten Free Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkfebruary

Reaction score
So I am helping a friend make a GF beer, I have made one with her previously, a nondescript Belgian beer. Very phenolic and spice forward beer, tasty a bit candi like sweetness for my tastes but very drinkable and my friend enjoyed it. I have a few questions on this next batch she requested an American-style IPA. My extract bill will be as follows:
3 Gallon Boil and Target into Fermentor
3.3 lbs Breiss White Sorghum Extract
1 lb Rice Syrup Solids
0.5 lbs Candi Sugar-Amber(5 mins)
0.5 lbs(?) Maltodextrin(5 mins????????)
Maybe some turbinado(0.5 lbs max, all depending on how strong she wants it)
Hops-some mixture of listed below for about 45-50 IBU. 60 min, 30 min, 5 min and flameout addition
US Fuggle
US Galena
US Summit
US Perle
US-05 (remember Gluten Free!)
Now on to my questions:
1) I have read that adding the sorghum syrup late into the boil will provide a slightly different taste, I have never done this before, if I was to do it is it all extracts late into the boil including the rice syrup solids or just the sorghum extract.
2) I have not used maltodextrin before either, I have read that GF beers can be somewhat thin and this will aid in body of the beer, how much and is this a late boil addition, early boil, when?
I might come up with some more but who knows, thanks!

You would want to add agave for thickness and flavor...the more additives you add to it the better it will be as I did a GF honey pale and it tasted like sake...I'm making a gf stout and all the ingredients cost me over $100 ...sorghum buckwheat agave lactose corn sugar honey to name a few.....sounds like your aiming for an IPA ??? You can add grapefruit juice and the rind to help kill that rice flavor. I played around on the internet read 60 or so recipes before I made my own gf stout recipe so best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you add the sorghum and candy sugar late in the boil (I usually do), be carefull to reduce the bittering hop addition. You will extract a lot more biterness from those hops in the low gravity wort than you would in a "normal" boil with all fermentables added from the start.
you can play with the online brewing calculators to see the diffrence in IBUs in high vs low gravity worts.

I tend to add maltodextrine( 8 oz would be reasonable) at the begining of the boil, you are safe adding the rice syrup solids at that time as well.

A lot of recipes call for 8 oz (0.5 lb) maltodextrin for a 5 gallon batch. You could back that down to 5 oz for the 3 gallon batch and without the extra sugar, my calcs show you would be at about 1.061 for your FG at 3 gallons. My view is that is pretty good.

My guess is the only fermentable you are going to notice a taste difference on the length of the boil is the belgian candy syrup. That would be the only thing I would leave to the end and let the hops have almost the full gravity to work with.

I have no experience with the hops you are showing but am interested in your opinions of them. I only brew gluten free, and in my limited experience is if you try to go against the citrus nature of the sorghum you might not like it. I forged this opinion on comparing tettnang, cascade, and E.K. Goldings. I now use Goldings for dry hopping only since I think the flavor clashes a bit with the sorghum.

My book lists the Gelena and Perle as a bittering hops. Are you using those for only for the early addition or do you like them for flavor and aroma?
Summit seems to be new and some say it is a good aroma hop. Looks like it may go really well with sorghum base. Have you had good experience with it?
My book lists Fuggles as being similar to E.K. Goldings.

So I ended up doing a 60 mins addition of Summit (.25 oz),Perle at 30(.5 oz), Galena at 15 mins (.25 oz), and a whirlpool of Galena. Fermenting away will keep you guys updated when it is done.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396371291.855958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back