Getting started in 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uSlackr

Gaughan Brewing... gone brewin'
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a Tilt Hydrometer for Christmas and it got me excited about the BrewPi and logging temp & SG during fermentation. I picked up a RPI and Arduino and started playing around. But I'm finding that much of the build info is two plus years old and the Pi no longer supports Arduino. I've read through some of the RPI thread below but it is 7200 posts long and its unclear how much applies or has aged. So bear with me as I ask some noob questions to figure out where to head.

What Id like to do are the following (in order of importance)
  • Log temp and SG data And graph it nicely
  • Control fermentation temp using the Tilt data
  • Have a small display of temp and SG near the fermenter

I have an RPI 3, Arduino and Tilt.
What's possible? Suggestions on where to start.

(FWIW, I have a lot of IT experience and have built much of my brewery from scratch.)

Thanks as always.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're asking...Anything is possible with what you have, the problem is can you implement it? I'd start with getting them running independently, and then work on integrating them. Just follow the OP on the brewpi thread for the build. When you run into a problem, then search for the answer...

I doubt you really want to use the Tilt's temperature sensor, it has hella jitter just like the pitch sensor.
DS18B20 precision is superior...

Cheers!

Can't that be handled by averaging? For fermentation control, how much precision does one need? Beside, at the moment I have a probe taped to the outside. The Tilt is killing that for accuracy.

How about this - are there instructions for building BrewPi & Arduino using Legacy branch? I can't find them.

I searched "legacy brewpi"....

www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/howto-make-a-brewpi-fermentation-controller-for-cheap.466106/page-110

I started with a fresh installation of raspbian weezy, and followed these instructions
http://docs.brewpi.com/manual-brewpi-install/manual-brewpi-install.html

At section 4. "Using Git for BrewPi", after running
"sudo apt-get install git-core"

I entered
"sudo -u brewpi git clone -b legacy https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-script /home/brewpi"

Then

"sudo rm /var/www/*"

and finally

"sudo -u www-data git clone -b legacy https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-www /var/www"

to install the legacy version of BrewPi

afterwards, it was necessary to run the command
"sudo /home/brewpi/utils/fixPermissions.sh"
to fix the permissions of the /var/www folder to allow the flashing of the arduino.

After the arduino was succesfully flashed, I found that I could not install any detected devices until after I ran the command

sudo echo 'E\n' > /dev/ttyAMC0
to clear the EEPROM of the arduino. After running that command, all devices installed properly, and i'm currently making my yeast starter for my first temperature controlled brew ^_^

Latest posts

Back