Full Boil Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmd

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer and want to do a PM full boil to save on some time. Does it matter how many gallons of water I steep the grains in?

I am looking to do a full 10 gallon boil on my blichman.

Thanks

How does a PM save time? You still got to wait for the mash to complete, followed by an hour boil.

Are you just steeping grains or are you really mashing?
For mashing, the water volume can't be too high or too low. For steeping it doesn't matter.

There are many people on this forum that do a full volume mash using a biab with great success. I am interested in how a partial mash will save you time though.

I want to do an extarct with steeping grains.

Steep the grains for 20 minutes, remove, and then bring to a boil and add about 1/2 the extract. Boil as long as you first hop addition requires (often 60 minutes, but sometimes you can add hops later and get the same bitterness if you use more hops), and then add the rest of the extract and cool.

This really wouldn't save much time over an AG batch, maybe 40 minutes, but it would work.

If you wanted to do an AG batch and save time, you could do a shorter mash (just until conversion) and no sparge, and it would be just about as fast as an extract batch with steeping grains.

Back