Force carbonation calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I had been using the Force Carbonation Calculator Google Doc by Andrew Maixner that I found linked on here for a while now, but since I'm usually on my phone when accessing it, it was a bit hard to find each time and kind of annoying to edit (not that it was that bad or anything)... but I decided to make it a little easier, so I've created forcecarbcalculator.com to make it easy to play with the numbers, and easy to remember where to find it.

If anyone has suggestions for improvements, I'm open to adding features or ease-of-use stuff to it.

I just stumbled upon this post and it seems to be what I've been looking for. I do smaller batches, 2.5G and 1.75G. The formula assumes 5G so how does smaller volume affect the final CO2 volume? Or does it at all?

I just stumbled upon this post and it seems to be what I've been looking for. I do smaller batches, 2.5G and 1.75G. The formula assumes 5G so how does smaller volume affect the final CO2 volume? Or does it at all?
Great question, and I'm not totally sure 😅
I took the disclaimer from the spreadsheet that I linked to on that page. The math of how it's done is a bit beyond me, lol.

My guess though, would be that the difference would be quite small, though maybe it would require less time or pressure for smaller amounts.

I usually use it to pressure up in ~48 hours, but I undershoot a little, then leave it at serving pressure for awhile to get it the rest of the way there. Might be worth doing that to start as an experiment, since it's easier to keep increasing carbonation rather than reducing once it's over carbed.

Back