First Lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebuss86

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I brewed this bock on 1/28. Pitched rehydrated packet of dry yeast to aerated wort at approx 65 F. Unfortunately, I do not remember what yeast it was, because I do not have the packet anymore; mistake #1. I believe it was a 6 oz packet, and it was in fact lager yeast.

This particular yeast said it should be ferment at 53 - 59 F for optimal results; it's sitting at approx 55 F in primary. From what I could observe, and I haven't taken a SG reading because it's only been 4 days, fermentation has been slow and sluggish. It took roughly 72 hours to notice anything, and that was after I warmed it up some to 60sh and roused the yeast a little after seeing no visible signs of fermentation. After I did that, I did see some bubbling, and felt pressure on the lid of the bucket. I placed it back in it's spot where it sits around 53 - 55 F. Hindsight, my concerns are: (1) perhaps I should have pitched two packets of yeast, especially since it seemed like I used a lot of extract (2 qts LME, DME). The kits only came with one yeast packet. Also didn't mention anything about using a starter - it actually said to pitch dry. I rehydrated and pitched.
(2) Looking ahead, what if I do not get down to my FG? (OG = 1.068). Is it ok to repitch 2-3 weeks after brewing if needed? I bought some yeast activator but did not use it after realizing this brew should not need it - there should be plenty of food for the yeasties. I am kind of worried I may not have enough cells.

Perhaps I am worrying too much. Any input would be appreciated. Ultimately, I guess I won't know anything until I take a SG reading.

Are there any adverse effects when warming it up briefly like I did, to get some fermentation activity started?

As much as it kills ya, don't fret over an airlock not bubbling. Although a bubbling airlock is a positive sign of activity, a not bubbling airlock is not a bad sign nor does it mean you're not fermenting. But I know. The bubbling makes you feel good. Me too.

A fluctuation of a few degrees usually won't hurt, but large swings and frequent swings can produce off flavors.

Where the heck is Revvy?

I'm sure it was not a 6oz more like 11.5G. For a lager pitch cold and pitch a lot 2 packs of dry yeast is good for most styles.

Thanks Zuljin. So I've read that a bunch of times already and I guess it just hasn't sunk it yet lol - this is my 4th batch, got plenty to learn. So the bottom line is: I can reach FG, and still not have my airlock releasing excess CO2 possibly the entire time?

My last ale fermented so violently I had to put a blowoff tube on it less that 18 hours after I pitched, and this one is on the opposite side of the spectrum, probably why I am scratching my head.

Yes Beerman, you're right. It would have been an 11.5 g packet. I am not sure where I got 6 oz from. Thanks.

Unfortunatley, I only pitched the one packet. Considering I am still relatively new to brewing, I wasn't aware I might need 2 packets - plus, they only gave me one in the kit. Would it be wise to find that strain I used and pitch another packet, in case I don't have enough cells?

I was doing some research, and the yeast I used is a yeast that also ferments well in ale-like temps, but on the lower end.

Back