First Lager, How Long to FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I've brewed a ton of ales and the normal gravity versions are generally done in 2 or three days at 67F and I let them go another 5 or 6 days to let things clean up.

I just made my first lager, a munich dunkel, OG of 1.050 and used a 2.5L starter with 2 vials of WLP833. I pitched at 44F and brought it up to 50F over 36 hours. The airlock bubbled pretty well for several days (about 5) and slowed down to a burp every now and then (something like one an hour or less). I've raised the temp to 56F for a diacetyl rest.

How long should I hold it at 56F before I start checking gravities? I don't like messing with the fermenter, so I'd like to take as few samples as possible.

Just wondering what the typical schedule is for WLP833 when pitched and oxygenated properly.

Thanks

I just pitched WLP833 for a Mai Bock. I hit target OG in 4 days at 48F. I raised it to 60F for 48 hours before crashing. That worked well for me.

It seems this has worked well with a few other brewers +/- a day for primary, and 2-4 days for a d-rest.

I've brewed a ton of ales and the normal gravity versions are generally done in 2 or three days at 67F and I let them go another 5 or 6 days to let things clean up.

I just made my first lager, a munich dunkel, OG of 1.050 and used a 2.5L starter with 2 vials of WLP833. I pitched at 44F and brought it up to 50F over 36 hours. The airlock bubbled pretty well for several days (about 5) and slowed down to a burp every now and then (something like one an hour or less). I've raised the temp to 56F for a diacetyl rest.

How long should I hold it at 56F before I start checking gravities? I don't like messing with the fermenter, so I'd like to take as few samples as possible.

Just wondering what the typical schedule is for WLP833 when pitched and oxygenated properly.

Thanks

I usually check gravity on lagers at a week to see if they're ready to raise up for the d-rest at 62-64*F. When it gets to 75-80% of the way from OG to FG is when I do that.

It won't hurt to give it 5-7 days d-rest before checking the gravity. Raise it up to the low 60's if you can. The warmer temp is so that the diacetyl precursor will convert to diacetyl that the yeast can then consume.

I usually check the gravity prior to a d-rest. When it's about 75% attenuated I'll up the temp. The diacetyl rest shouldn't take than a few days. Since you already raised it I'd go ahead and let it sit for 5 or so and then check to see where grav. is. I'd taste that sample as well to see if there's any diacetyl signs in flavor or odor. If not then start the lagering schedule. Dunkel is delicious !!! Good luck

Back