first hard apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
fermentation is going great I just need to know how many times should I rack it to clear it up?

There is no correct answer except to rack when needed. Some rack anytime the lees build up past 1/2 - 1 inch while others rack off once fermentation has pretty much stopped. Both schools of thought result in a clear cider after 1-3 rackings for the most part, but it depends greatly on the base juice and any additives used (Pectinase, fining agents, & yeast selection.)

I used safale 05 yeast all natural apple juice no additives apple pie spice seasoning and 2 cups brown sugar

S-05 can be a little slow when it comes to dropping out of suspension but I've had success both cold crashing it and using bentonite.

i personally don't find any need to rack my cider at all...I usually bottle directly from primary after a month or two...ciders and cysers, I find tend to clear very well, so I've never had to use finings. If you didn't use pectic enzyme, there can sometimes be a faint haze that won't fully clear...

Thanks for the suggestions guys i did use a yeast nutrient but no pectic enzyme. When I let my beer sit in primary for three weeks its darn clear and ready to bottle. I'll just keep an eye on my cider and take a hydrometer sample at the three week mark.

Latest posts

Back