First blowout (nothing too crazy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
8DB8204A-70D3-41F3-A48C-DD005F9BF8A2.jpeg
So this is the first blowout (more of an overflow) I’ve ever had and it seems kinda random. I have used US 05 many times in similar beers with similar gravities. I’m pretty sure fermentation temps and pitch rates were similar as well. Can it be random? Maybe there was a temperature spike? Just curious to hear what others think.

Hmm. Higher temp, more fermentable wort, more yeast cells, more nutrients, less head space, etc etc. Many factors affect fermentation.
I almost always use a blow-off tube. I don't want yeasty beer on my ceiling or all over my fridge.

I would definitely suggest just using a blow off tube into a container of sanitizer/water as your airlock, no matter what. One time, I found fermentation had taken off considerably overnight, and there was yeast in the airlock. I rigged up my blow off and intended to just quickly replace the airlock with it. When I removed it, there was enough pressure that yeast exploded all over the walls, ceiling, and me. Not worth it.

I would definitely suggest just using a blow off tube into a container of sanitizer/water as your airlock, no matter what. One time, I found fermentation had taken off considerably overnight, and there was yeast in the airlock. I rigged up my blow off and intended to just quickly replace the airlock with it. When I removed it, there was enough pressure that yeast exploded all over the walls, ceiling, and me. Not worth it.
I think my wife would kill me if that happened. All I really need is some tubing so I don’t really have an excuse not to.

Latest posts

Back