First big RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
My question is for a five gallon batch with about 23 lbs of grain is the grain to water ratio still the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Beersmith tells make mash in with 29 quarts if I sparge with equal that about 12 13 gal if you count absorption should you just boil down or will it work out?

That's still 14 gallons of water figure 2-3 gallon absorption should leave about 11 gallons of wort in the keggle boil off maybe 1.5 gallon 60 minute boil leaves me with about 9.5 gallons maybe do a 90 minute boil?

You will typically get worse efficiency when you are doing such a high gravity batch. You need to adjust your mash and sparge volumes so you get the right pre boil volume. Since the mash will likely be very thick, you should expect worse efficiency.

Beersmith tells make mash in with 29 quarts if I sparge with equal that about 12 13 gal if you count absorption should you just boil down or will it work out?

Why would you sparge with that much water if you want to end up with 6.5 gallons? Just sparge with as much water as you need to reach your preboil volume. Let's say you do about a 1.25 qt/lb mash. So you mash with about 29 quarts. You'll lose about 12 quarts to absorption, so that's 17 quarts in first runnings. You need 26 quarts (6.5 gallons) preboil, so then you sparge with 9 quarts to get there. So the mash is normal thickness, you just sparge less which will probably give you lower efficiency.

Back