first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trackguy

Reaction score
I am brand new to this...I started with a kit of unfiltered IPA. I have let it ferment for two weeks now. I cannot find pictures that would tell me where I am in the process anywhere. It looks like there is still a yeast layer on top with some dropping and a larger bit of sledge at the bottom. Do I continue to wait until all of the yeast drops? Thank you for any help and advice!

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Welcome to the addiction!

Actually, it looks to me like all the yeast has dropped. It's just that some of it has dropped and "stuck" to that middle ridge of your container. If I had anything fermenting right now I'd take a picture of what mine looks like, but unfortunately I just have kegs conditioning. What temp is the room your fermenter is in?

If I had to bet, I would say it's done. But since it's your first batch, I would wait one more week to move to the next step.

Do you have a hydrometer? The best way is to take a gravity reading for the next 3 days and if no changes, it is fully fermented and you are free to package it. If you do not have a hydrometer, you should get one as they are cheap at the homebrew store and it is a necessary piece of equipment. In a pinch, you could just let it sit for 2 more weeks and it should be ready to go.

Another question, what temperature is the room the carboy has been sitting it to ferment? Have you been using any form to temperature management such as a swamp cooler?

Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome Trackguy. No need to repeat everything that was said. Hydrometer is the way to go. If you don't have one, let it sit longer. Let us know how it turns out!

I do not have a hydrometer and do not live close to anything like a homebrew store. I will let it sit longer. I have it sitting in our cool basement where it is generally dark and the coolest part of the house. Thanks for the advice, I will update you all when I start to bottle.

Knowing what yeast strain you used would be helpful in determining if what you are seeing is normal... after two weeks it should certainly be done. Man that is a dark looking IPA...

That is what I thought...I do not know the yeast strain, it came in the start up kit and I threw out the package.

Is it just me, or is that a ton of head space? Is that a 1 gallon batch in a 2 gallon fermenter? I would agree with others, don't open it and let it ride another week. If that will fit in a fridge, you could even cold crash it.

Is it just me, or is that a ton of head space? Is that a 1 gallon batch in a 2 gallon fermenter? I would agree with others, don't open it and let it ride another week. If that will fit in a fridge, you could even cold crash it.

Yes, and it doesn't matter. In primary with a lid and airlock the headspace isn't critical. The fermentation will have expelled most of the oxygen and trapped CO2 under the airlock. I often make a 2 1/2 gallon batch in my 6 1/2 gallon bucket fermenter.

With mead its a good idea to change containers after primary fermentation and get the mead off the sediment at the bottom, is that not the case with beer ? You just let it go a few weeks then bottle ?

With mead its a good idea to change containers after primary fermentation and get the mead off the sediment at the bottom, is that not the case with beer ? You just let it go a few weeks then bottle ?

In a homebrewing setup you can go for an extremely long time in primary. Months+. And it is beneficial to keep it there for at least a short time after the yeast has eaten the last of the fermentable sugars.

In a homebrewing setup you can go for an extremely long time in primary. Months+. And it is beneficial to keep it there for at least a short time after the yeast has eaten the last of the fermentable sugars.

Alright so since beer is like a 2 - 3 week ferment theres no need to do any transfers before bottling ?

I've never tranfered to a secondary vessel. Only transferred to a bottling bucket on bottle day.

I do not have a hydrometer and do not live close to anything like a homebrew store. I will let it sit longer. I have it sitting in our cool basement where it is generally dark and the coolest part of the house. Thanks for the advice, I will update you all when I start to bottle.

Order one online, you are going to need it. Something like this: Hydrometer, and a sampling jar: Sampling container

Latest posts

Back