First all grain today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I missed my mash temp by -2*. Whorls I bump the sparge temp +2* to compensate, or just leave it alone? Target mash temp was 152 and I hit 150

I just tried the first pint of my first all grain batch. Trying it side by side with an extract batch I now notice the "twange" everyone talks about.

Ended up with 61% efficiency which is about what I expected. Now enjoying a stick after a "hard" days brewing on this beautiful north Texas afternoon.

Just sampled a SG reading. It's at 1.008, started at 1.053 so I'm pretty sure it's done. I will take another sample on Saturday to make sure

Looked, smelled and tasted good but not really what I was looking for as far as taste. Recipe below

7lbs white wheat
3lbs honey malt
2lbs 2 row
1lb crystal 60

Steeped at 150 for 1 hour. Single batch sparge at 170 for 20 minutes

1oz cascade 5.5 at 60
1oz cascade 5.5 at 30
1oz hallertauer 4.8 at 5

Dry Danstar Munich

I was hoping for more honey type sweetness. There is a hint of it, but the hop bitterness almost completely covers it up. I love hoppy beer, but wasn't looking for it here. Beersmith shows an IBU of 30 for this recipe. I thought it would be just about right, but I was wrong. It's almost as hoppy as a New Belgium Ranger IPA though not as citrusy.

What can I do to this recipe to get more sweetness and or less bitterness? My first thought was just halving the hops, but maybe I should use a different type as well. I want some citrus, but not grapefruit.

image-3935140899.jpg

First, reserve judgment on the flavor of the beer until its carbonated. Carbonation makes a world of difference.

Next, if it's still not as malty as you're wanting, you could back off the bittering hops, but I'd probably try mashing at a higher temp instead - 154F, maybe as high as 156F depending on what you're looking for. That'll leave you with a higher FG and more residual sweetness.

Thanks. I'll try both options seperately and then once combined. The beer is really good as is, just not what I was looking for

I'll probably end up liking all 4 attempts ha

In the beer you have now, the hop flavor will mellow with time. Set six of those beautiful beers aside. Try one in a six months or so.

3 lbs of honey malt is way too much. Couple that with another pound of crystal and you have 4 pounds of specialty malt. That is fairly excessive.

Edit: to get more sweetness, mash higher and use a yeast that doesn't attenuate as well.

Well I bottled today. I took a gravity reading first to be sure fermentation was done. It tasted pretty darn good. The bitterness I tasted a week ago has mellowed quite a bit. This may turn out closer to what I was going for after all. Either way, it will be a very good beer

Back