First 300$ for ebiuld

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PleasantValleyHops

Reaction score
SO. My wife said i have $300 for a bday gift to spend. I am switching to ebiuld finally. I already have 2 5500 w elements, my wire and control panel enclosure already. Im wondering on what i should get w that money to better my chances of finishing this up quicker. Or i there are things that will make it usable quicker.

It all depends of what you have and what your diy skill.

What runningweird said will be a really good start.

Sorry. At work and hit post when i wasnt ready. In the end i plan on doing a single tier 3 vessel herms setup. Right now will just be a 2 vessel setup tho. Diy is anything really. Electrician by trade so that side of things is easy. In the end their will be pumps bu for now prob going to go w a 3 tier gravity setup for ease factor.

Also i have all bits and tools nec to do all the diy.

Buy the wife a nice gift and ask for more money! :D
But if it were me I'd stick to your first plan and do a single tier 3 vessel. (you can still brew in 2 vessels in the mean time) Start with your kegs if you don't have them already, then pump, pid, and the list goes on and on. Chugger pump has their ss pump back in stock at a great price.http://chuggerpumps.com/product.php?prodid=99 Just picked up another one for a spare.

another bonus, pump is going to be a vday gift from the wife, she told me on the way home from work to order it. i just have to buy some tiffanys neckless for her. i do have my 3 keggles already, so i guess the pids (2) and a pmw for the bk. just picked up my 50 a breaker today for the subpanel. and got some #4 copper coming off that. freebie! keep suggestions coming tho. still need guidance from everyone! and thank everyone so far for info on here

Ok then get some valves, element lock nuts, false bottom, PID,SSR, temp probe, sight glass, some kind of stand (wood if it's tempo), you'll be around 300$ and ready to brew.

If you know something in programation, get an arduino controller and display and do some code to replace those 2 PID, easier than it seem.

Now my question. W only one pump what will i really sacrifice w this. Whats the downside to this or should it be more like just go straight to 2 pumps. What wont i be able to do w one pump that people do w two pumps. My wort chiller is just a simple 100 ' submerible coil so i wont have the plate chiller. Even tho i want one. Alright. Pros and cons please

I ran with one pump for years. You will just be moving hoses around a lot more. I have a plate chiller but I prefer my DIY counter flow. Your 100' chiller is 3/8" copper I assume?

I use one pump to recirculate the HLT/HERMS water to monitor and hold the temperature and the 2nd pump to recirculate the wort through the HERMS coil. I guess you can mount the temp probe in the HLT kettle vs the outlet fitting to monitor HLT/HERMS temperature. I focus on maintaining and holding temperatures during mashing so I can ensure consistency in my brewing process. Call me cooky! :drunk:

My two cents, Castermmt

Hmm. So ithink so far on order is 2 pids. 2 ssr w heatsink. And the pump. Still def need a few random fittings for plumbing everything. Most electrical stuff ill get for free. Including 150 ft of my feed wire to my control panel. Hopefully soon ill start documenting a biuld thread. Or atleast do my own and then just post most of it when im close to finished. For now going to have to go wood stand. So i guess a coupke extrs lines aint too bad. I ha e been brewing for 2 yrs w no pump so one pump is a plus+.

Now w the 5500 watts element. Shoulf i def run a pmw to that?!?

Back