FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg17

Reaction score
I purchased an extract recipe kit (session beer) from AHS (and yes, that order ended in my bank account being hacked) as well as one of their 1% alcohol boost thingys. The estimated FG is 1.012. However, since I added the boost shouldnt the FG be a bit higher?

If the alcohol boost is corn sugar only, then no, because it ferments fully. In fact it ferments so fully it could give you a lower FG since the added alcohol is lighter than water. Highly fermentable adjuncts is how you produce a really low FG beer like Budweiser. Some people 'dry a beer out' with a little corn sugar, especially extract recipes where you cannot control fermentabily since you aren't mashing the grains yourself.

Now if it's not 100% fermentable (and I think that's the case...I think its corn sugar and something else) then your FG could be the same or a little higher. If you used an extra pound of DME to boost the alcohol (and body), the FG would be higher.

I've never used a booster, but someone who has will come fill in the gaps (or my mistakes) shortly :)

If the alcohol boost is corn sugar only, then no, because it ferments fully. In fact it ferments so fully it could give you a lower FG since the added alcohol is lighter than water. Highly fermentable adjuncts is how you produce a really low FG beer like Budweiser. Some people 'dry a beer out' with a little corn sugar, especially extract recipes where you cannot control fermentabily since you aren't mashing the grains yourself.

Now if it's not 100% fermentable (and I think that's the case...I think its corn sugar and something else) then your FG could be the same or a little higher. If you used an extra pound of DME to boost the alcohol (and body), the FG would be higher.

I've never used a booster, but someone who has will come fill in the gaps (or my mistakes) shortly :)

Youre right, it was corn sugar. So I guess a 1.015 would be about right?

Youre right, it was corn sugar. So I guess a 1.015 would be about right?

No, the AHS alcohol boost isn't purely corn sugar. In fact, it says it is maltose and glucose. But it is very highly fermentable, so not much added FG.

Back