Ferminting in my server room at the office???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGHT

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and haven’t brewed a batch yet, but I took a beginners class last night. The guy teaching the class stressed how important it was to keep the fermenting temps under control while fermenting. He said a good range would be between 68-72. Since I don’t have a spare fridge or anything to control my temps at home I was thinking about taking my beer to the office and storing it in my server room. I keep my server room around 68-70 24/7 so was thinking about possible putting my whole 5 gallon container into a box and just storing it there…

Would that work?

The office is about 15 minutes from home so if I brew at home would it be an issue transporting it to the office in the back of my truck? Would those temps work? I actually have a ton of extra space in the server room so it wouldn’t be anywhere near my servers or equipment.

You don't have a room in your house that you can keep at 68-70 degrees? Transporting isn't ideal. Lots of sloshing around, especially when it's time to package your beer.

2 reasons I wouldnt do that.

1. 68-70 is still a bit warm. Fermentation generates heat, so if the room is ~70 then your beer is probably a few degrees over that. 68-70 wouldnt be the end of the world, but I think it would still be considered a little warm.

2. Youtube or look up fermentation blowoff. If you get a clogged blowoff tube or airlock, youre going to be out a lot of $$$ in server equipment. And, fermentation in my experience seems to generate a lot of moisture, more than I would care to have in a server room.

You probably wouldnt have any issues transporting it back and forth, other than possible oxidizing it if O2 managed to get in and get shaken up.

I think for the time/effort/money you might be better off looking into buying a small used chest freezer on craigslist for ferm control. OR, you can always go the swamp cooler method.

OR, you can always go the swamp cooler method.

I second this.

We don't have much space in our house so I have 2 corners in our laundy room dedicated to swamp coolers. Just grab a cheap tote that you can fit your carboy/bucket in, fill it up to the level of beer with room temp water, drape a wet tshirt over it, and alternate in frozen water bottles a few times a day. Works like a charm!

Also: Fermenting beer + Electronics = Bad Idea

2 reasons I wouldnt do that.

1. 68-70 is still a bit warm. Fermentation generates heat, so if the room is ~70 then your beer is probably a few degrees over that. 68-70 wouldnt be the end of the world, but I think it would still be considered a little warm.

2. Youtube or look up fermentation blowoff. If you get a clogged blowoff tube or airlock, youre going to be out a lot of $$$ in server equipment. And, fermentation in my experience seems to generate a lot of moisture, more than I would care to have in a server room.

You probably wouldnt have any issues transporting it back and forth, other than possible oxidizing it if O2 managed to get in and get shaken up.

I think for the time/effort/money you might be better off looking into buying a small used chest freezer on craigslist for ferm control. OR, you can always go the swamp cooler method.

Would it work it I decreased the temp to say 65 in the room? Also my goal was to enclose the carboy in a box in case of a blow off.

I suppose. I still think it would work better/easier/potentially less destructive in a swamp cooler setup at home

Not familiar with swamp coolers and if I did go that how do I monitor the temperature of the wart / container? How do you control the temp if your home temp fluctuates a lot? I’m not looking for the easiest method, or the most reliable, but something in between. I don’t mind spending a little on cooler / freezer if it means better results, but I don’t want to spend that money if I don’t have to and I can put that money toward something else like a kegerator.

As Kev mentioned, my first thought would be potential hazard to your electronic equipment. Why risk it?

Not familiar with swamp coolers and if I did go that how do I monitor the temperature of the wart / container? How do you control the temp if your home temp fluctuates a lot? I’m not looking for the easiest method, or the most reliable, but something in between. I don’t mind spending a little on cooler / freezer if it means better results, but I don’t want to spend that money if I don’t have to and I can put that money toward something else like a kegerator.

If the house temps fluctuate a lot but the average is still in the right range, stick the whole fermentor in a tub of water. I use an old picnic cooler without a bottom drain, but a rope handle tub works too. That much mass of liquid will resist rapid temp changes, plus if it is too warm you can swap out frozen soda bottles 2-3 times a day. I've even fermented lagers this way.

If the house temps fluctuate a lot but the average is still in the right range, stick the whole fermentor in a tub of water. I use an old picnic cooler without a bottom drain, but a rope handle tub works too. That much mass of liquid will resist rapid temp changes, plus if it is too warm you can swap out frozen soda bottles 2-3 times a day. I've even fermented lagers this way.

This. A swamp cooler setup will cost you 10$ for a tote at target plus an old t-shirt and water to fill it. To monitor temps you can slap one of those fermstrip thermometers on the side of the carboy. The thermal mass of water will keep you within range, and like lump said. If it gets a little warm, toss a frozen water bottle in. And if you wanna spend a bit more money, check craigslist. People are always selling old chest freezers/refrigerators. $20-$30 for a used fridge/freezer and $50-$80 for a temp controller and you're in business with a dedicated ferm chamber

Youtube vid showing a "swamp cooler" in action

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll toss the server room idea out since it seems like the over concerned teacher may have just been a bit on the selling side.

I do have a huge walk in closet that I can dedicate some space to, but I don't know how hot / cold that gets during the day. How do you figure out if a room will work? Also another option would be the garage, but it's not insulated so I'm sure there would be more temp swings in there...

I think the walk in closet would be best. As long as your carboy is in a thing of water, slight temp swings shouldnt be a huge issue

I’ve been reading up on swamp coolers and I think that would work, but most of the stuff I read indicates you need to add ice / ice bottles every few hours. My probably is I may be away from home for 10-12 hours at a time so that probably isn’t the best solution. I think I’m going to just spend a little money and get a dedicated half fridge and controller I can put into the closet. This way I won’t have to worry about it when away from home.

Now the big questions what’s a good fridge to use?

You need it my friend. I did most my beginning Brews with no temp control and some came out a bit hot. It taste like taking a shot. But during the winter they were all good. Then I made a dedicated fridge and haven’t looked back. I got the fridge for free so I was lucky. But yeah even brand spanking new you can spend less the. 200 and get a BA set up. I control temps with Inkbird

...it seems like the over concerned teacher may have just been a bit on the selling side.

I would disagree with this sentiment. If anything, he/she undersold the importance of temp control. He/she could have quickly elaborated on the idea of beer/room temp difference and the need for different yeast strains to be at different temps to prevent/produce certain flavors.

Craigslist, mention to friends that you are looking for a used fridge, etc. I picked up a fridge for free because the owner wanted it gone. It came from an apartment he was renovating and it was filthy, but a little simple green and some elbow grease and it is great. It’s only 6 years old as well. You won’t be sorry.

Although I ferment in a chest freezer you don't need to do that if space or cost is an issue. Google Cool Brewing bag, which is an insulated bag that holds a fermenter. You use frozen 2 liter soda bottles to cool the wort, adding a new one every 12 hours or so. They run around $60.

Here's mine:
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I put water in it, up to the beer line, and float a floating thermometer in it. I change frozen water bottles maybe once a day, often less. If anything, it can get too cool if I overdo the ice, and I have even made lagers in this! This is in my basement, when I was making a lager.

It's a wheeled cooler, so I can keep it wherever I want and move it as needed.

Here's mine:
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I put water in it, up to the beer line, and float a floating thermometer in it. I change frozen water bottles maybe once a day, often less. If anything, it can get too cool if I overdo the ice, and I have even made lagers in this! This is in my basement, when I was making a lager.

This is exactly what I do. Only I don't have the styrofoam lid. When I do lagers. I throw a couple of old towels over the whole thing.

You need it my friend. I did most my beginning Brews with no temp control and some came out a bit hot. It taste like taking a shot. But during the winter they were all good. Then I made a dedicated fridge and haven’t looked back. I got the fridge for free so I was lucky. But yeah even brand spanking new you can spend less the. 200 and get a BA set up. I control temps with Inkbird

I would disagree with this sentiment. If anything, he/she undersold the importance of temp control. He/she could have quickly elaborated on the idea of beer/room temp difference and the need for different yeast strains to be at different temps to prevent/produce certain flavors.

Yeah I think he was stressing it because it seems there are other "solutions", but they may or may not be a stable as a dedicated setup and I guess temp control is probably the most important aspect in regards to taste / flavor..

Here's mine:
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I like the idea and recently read that these are basically an "upgrade" to a swamp cooler. What did the entire setup costs you? If I can find a used fridge for around $100 I'd probably go that route only because it's not much more in costs over a igloo setup. Plus having a 2nd fridge upstairs would be great to keep all that beer I'm going to brew when it's not in use..

Something else to consider is your yeast selection. Something like Omega's HotHead Ale yeast (OYL-057) should give you decent to great results without temperature control.

http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/14158-2/

Can you just replace this yeast with the ones they send you in the extract kit? Still very new so not sure how changing yeast will help / harm recipes.

Can you just replace this yeast with the ones they send you in the extract kit? Still very new so not sure how changing yeast will help / harm recipes.

Different yeast strains are appropriate to different beer styles. Saisons, hefeweizen, belgians, and some English bitters require specific yeasts to be true to style - they are largely yeast-driven.

You could use Omega's HotHead pale ales, IPAs, and other styles that do not require yeast-specific characteristics - an amber ale would work, and probably a lot of others.

For just starting out, I wouldn't worry about temperature control too much. RDWHAHB. Try to find a cooler place without a lot of temperature fluctuations. You aren't going to be perfiect on your first batch, or your tenth batch, or your 100th.

I went the swamp cooler route in the beginning but quickly became tired of it. I could never dial in the temps--either too cool or too warm. I even had frozen water bottles half filed and some completely filled thinking that would help.

I would at least try what Yooper did and if that doesnt work then get a chest freezer or even a mini fridge.

I went to Best Buy and bought a 5.1CFT chest freezer for $129. It was worth the investment.

Yeah I think he was stressing it because it seems there are other "solutions", but they may or may not be a stable as a dedicated setup and I guess temp control is probably the most important aspect in regards to taste / flavor..

I like the idea and recently read that these are basically an "upgrade" to a swamp cooler. What did the entire setup costs you? If I can find a used fridge for around $100 I'd probably go that route only because it's not much more in costs over a igloo setup. Plus having a 2nd fridge upstairs would be great to keep all that beer I'm going to brew when it's not in use..

I had the cooler, so my only cost was about $10 for the foam board.

I went the swamp cooler route in the beginning but quickly became tired of it. I could never dial in the temps--either too cool or too warm. I even had frozen water bottles half filed and some completely filled thinking that would help.

I would at least try what Yooper did and if that doesnt work then get a chest freezer or even a mini fridge.

I went to Best Buy and bought a 5.1CFT chest freezer for $129. It was worth the investment.

For $130 I'll just spend the money on stack it on top of my humidor in the closet. I was looking at dedicated conical fermenter per the suggestion of the teacher which seemed great and perfect, but at a few hundred dollars I'll just get a cooler...

I just upgraded to this same model (Igloo Ice Cube 60-qt) for $25 from Wally World. I have a scrape of foam board I'll make into a lid this winter.

Back