Fermentis WB-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIAB-Tim

Reaction score
Pulled a sample of my, what was supposed to be the Blue Moon Clone, everything went well with brew day until yeast time ! When I discovered no S-05 OMG No neutral yeast, it's not going to be the holly grayal of blue moon clone with out it, O'l well 5.5 gallons of a wheat beer with all the extras in Fermenter isn't going to be wasted so in goes the purple pkg of WB-06 that's been in cold storage for months so here goes ! Fermented at ambient temp of 65 deg for 5 days then ramped up a couple for 2 days ! I'm calling it Blue Hefered. I read mixed reviews of this yeast about this and that, glove here, Banana there, so was kinda wondering what I would get , but it is Banana orange flavored bubble gum so if you need a Hef yeast and want that Banana flavor this will geter done ! I'm pretty sure the gals will like it !

Just don’t bottle it yet... or they’ll probably explode in a month or so

Pulled a sample of my, what was supposed to be the Blue Moon Clone, everything went well with brew day until yeast time ! When I discovered no S-05 OMG No neutral yeast, it's not going to be the holly grayal of blue moon clone with out it, O'l well 5.5 gallons of a wheat beer with all the extras in Fermenter isn't going to be wasted so in goes the purple pkg of WB-06 that's been in cold storage for months so here goes ! Fermented at ambient temp of 65 deg for 5 days then ramped up a couple for 2 days ! I'm calling it Blue Hefered. I read mixed reviews of this yeast about this and that, glove here, Banana there, so was kinda wondering what I would get , but it is Banana orange flavored bubble gum so if you need a Hef yeast and want that Banana flavor this will geter done ! I'm pretty sure the gals will like it !

Recipe and process please!! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews as well. I've also used it in combo with other yeasts in a few IPAs, didnt like the results. Turned out a little too clove like for me.

I use WB-06 in most of my wheat beers because I prefer the phenolic (clove, pepper, spice) flavors to the esters (banana, or fruity). I also ferment towards the lower end of the recommended range, which tends to emphasize the the phenols. YMMV.

Partial Mash !

1 lb full pint 2 row malt
2 lbs White wheat malt
1 lb Quick Oats
5 oz honey malt
1.8 oz acid malt
Mashed in 2.5 gallons @ 153 60min Rinsed and added 4 gallons to get up to 7 gallons starting boil adding
1 oz of hallertiur hops @60
Adding 1 lb of wheat DME @30 min then adding 3 lbs of Bavarian wheat DME at 15 min with 1 tablespoon of fresh cracked coriander 1 tablespoon sweet dried orange pill & 2 pkg of chamomile tea cut flame and added 1/2 pound of wheat DME I had left that I needed to get rid of and bumb up gravity a bit Finished @1060 5.5 in Fermenter pitched rehydrated WB-06 @ 65 deg fermented @65 for 7 days gravity was 1008 raised to 67 for a few days dumped yeast & True and will keg next week after 20 days ! Sample was really good @7 days

It’s diastaticus yeast and will take forever to reach final gravity. Just when you think it’s done it’s not.

I have a mini brew conical Fermenter ! I have dumped the yeast twice so I will let it ride, it's been 2 weeks today since it was brewed ! and will leave it 2 more before I Keg. Thanks

Back