Fermentation temp control for multiple carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
So the winter is coming to a close and with it goes my ability to maintain temp. Right now I have two 6.5 gal carboys with heat wraps and controllers to maintain. The basement in the winter keeps a steady 45F so I'm able to heat to a steady ferm temp.

I was wondering what others were doing to keep control of the ferment. I've heard about chest freezers being a good option but other people use mini fridges. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other? What are the pros and cons of each?

I'm not looking to do the whole tub with ice our swamp cooler thing. Id like a little more automation to it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I have two chambers, one is a 23 cf chest freezer, and the other is a full sized fridge. I like both. I tend to use the fridge for primary fermentation, because I can slide out the carboys fairly easily for checking gravities. I tend to use the chest freezer for cold conditioning/lagering. I keep both in constant use, as I won't let my beer temp depend on ambient temps. This does require some planning, as I use them for getting my starters to proper temps too - I make my starters at ambient house temp, but I cool them to pitching temp a day before I brew. If either of them are free when I need to bottle condition, I use them to get the temp to 75F for faster carbonation time.

I have two different temp controllers, a Ranco dual stage, and an STC-1000, and of the two I prefer the STC. It is easier to program, has finer adjustments, and was WAY cheaper.

Once bottle conditioning is done, I put all my beer into a third fridge that I keep as cold as possible to extend the freshness of my beer, and that is also where I store my bulk hops, yeast and yeast slants.

With one minifridge, you can, if you have the skills (basic carpentry and the ability to wire a wall socket) build a chamber that will easily fit two carboys. Cost should be in the $100-$200 range.

Now if you want two different temps, you would be looking at setting one chamber off with foam and making the far one a little warmer. Just search fermentation chamber, there are tons of build threads. Mine has held my batch at 19 C for almost three weeks and barely ran much at all.

I have an upright freezer. I had to "adjust" a couple shelves.

It's big enough to hold two buckets/carboys. So I plan two beers that use the same yeast, brew them back to back, and split a yeast starter between them.

Back