Fermentation done, Krausen still there...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I have an ordinary bitter that's done fermenting, but there's about 1/2-3/4" of thick krausen that just hasn't fallen back in. Ok, so I haven't cracked threw it yet to take a sample, but I'm sure it's done.

I'm going to have to move the carboy to siphon into the keg, which I'm sure would stir up the krausen. My question is, should I swirl the carboy now to get the krausen to fall and settle for a few days before I transfer?

Krausen is just protein foam. Usually it falls, but sometimes it doesn't. If it's not preventing you from racking (and there's no reason it should be), there's no real benefit to be had by breaking it apart beforehand.

Krausen is just protein foam. Usually it falls, but sometimes it doesn't. If it's not preventing you from racking (and there's no reason it should be), there's no real benefit to be had by breaking it apart beforehand.

Are there any potential issues (such as haze) if it doesn't settle, and I suck a bunch through to the keg?

Are there any potential issues (such as haze) if it doesn't settle, and I suck a bunch through to the keg?

If it's still formed as foam, it shouldn't transfer to the keg. In fact, stirring it up now would almost certainly lead to more protein in the final produce.

If it's still formed as foam, it shouldn't transfer to the keg. In fact, stirring it up now would almost certainly lead to more protein in the final produce.

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll rack between the trub and the krausen and be careful to stop the siphon before I start sucking krausen.

Latest posts

Back